ProLaxShop

Harrow Carbon Graphite Men's Shafts

Want any advice on equipment? Or to review a piece of equipment? This is the place

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Teall

Harrow Carbon Graphite Men's Shafts

Postby Teall Mon May 09, 2011 1:21 am

Does anyone have any reviews on Harrow carbon graphite shafts? I've been playing with the idea of getting one for next season but not sure how strong/durable and suitable for men's lax they actually are. A guy from my team has a carbon graphite d-pole and gets along pretty well with it, but wondering if anyone in attack/middie could share anything?...
Seen a couple of clips on youtube of them snapping in half, albeit with a deliberate intention of snapping it, but still... So if anyone has any reviews, would like to hear them.
Thanks.
University of Leicester Lacrosse Club Captain '10/'11
ULLAX
Jackanory

Re: Harrow Carbon Graphite Men's Shafts

Postby Jackanory Mon May 09, 2011 1:16 pm

I have never used a Harrow one, but I played attack/middie with a Brine composite for a season (2 games and 2 training sessions a week)

Really enjoyed playing with it, and unlike metal shafts it naturally didn't dent/bend, but the last training session before our season-finale it got smashed into little pieces as a defender checked it as I was shooting.

They are incredibly strong and durable right up to the point where they break (useful advice I'm sure).
Ex York #33
President 08/09
Harry Collins

Postby Harry Collins Mon May 09, 2011 1:25 pm

Jackanory wrote:...the last training session before our season-finale it got smashed into little pieces as a defender checked it as I was shooting.

I wouldn't say I was a defender...

But looking back I reckon it must have had a crack or fracture under the rubber coating as neither the shot or check were that hard. I'd be wary of having one for just that reason; it doesn't snap, but literally falls to pieces if it gets hit too hard.
Hillcroft #41
Viking lax #14
Ex-Brooklands #14
Ex-York #14
dannyecko

Postby dannyecko Mon May 09, 2011 4:12 pm

I have a Harrow Field Attack shaft and i rate it highly, the paint job does chip easily with checks but thats not something that bothers me, happens with most shafts anyway :)
Leeds Met University #12 2010-12
Leeds Lacrosse Club #42 2010-12
Hull Lacrosse Club 2012-
Yorkshire Lacrosse BNC's 2012/2013
Lax Bandicoot #42
Teall

Postby Teall Mon May 09, 2011 10:48 pm

dannyecko wrote:I have a Harrow Field Attack shaft and i rate it highly, the paint job does chip easily with checks but thats not something that bothers me, happens with most shafts anyway :)

Which one do you have? I was looking at the 300 I Contoured. http://www.captain-lax.com/Lacrosse-Sha ... -1204.html
I've heard mixed things about them: some people think they're crap but others on the other hand, such as yourself, think otherwise. Chipped paint work is inevitable and only aesthetic, I'm more concerned with strength as they have been known to snap.
ULLAX
Hickey7

Postby Hickey7 Tue May 10, 2011 11:37 am

Remember having this chat with Jay Perrin not too long ago, he said they shatter and aren't worth the money. - personally not a fan either I think they're is better out there for the cost.
dannyecko

Postby dannyecko Tue May 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Teall wrote:
dannyecko wrote:I have a Harrow Field Attack shaft and i rate it highly, the paint job does chip easily with checks but thats not something that bothers me, happens with most shafts anyway :)

Which one do you have? I was looking at the 300 I Contoured. http://www.captain-lax.com/Lacrosse-Sha ... -1204.html
I've heard mixed things about them: some people think they're crap but others on the other hand, such as yourself, think otherwise. Chipped paint work is inevitable and only aesthetic, I'm more concerned with strength as they have been known to snap.

The one I have is a Field Attack http://www.harrowsports.com/Zing.asp?It ... 0&StoreID= in orange, I don't know much else about any other models they do. I bought mine from peak sports in Stockport and they have a few in there that aren't listed on their website. As far as they go with snapping, I think any hard check that would snap a carbon shaft would probably bend a normal one... it's not like your playing with a glass shaft at the end of the day.
Hull Lacrosse Club 2012-
Lax Bandicoot #42
Raptor_attack

Postby Raptor_attack Tue May 10, 2011 10:14 pm

Use Harrow Howitzer, a really lovely shaft, but for the money $135 new, be prepared to break it at any time. I'm on my 5th in 3 years maybe. I picked a few up on USA eBay for $50, and for that price they are worth it.

The grip is second to none, and the convex/concave handle just feels so right.
Live and Let (crease)Dive
ex-Southampton City Sabres #8
Reading Wildcats #xxx
'Instruo pro gloria'
Demus

Postby Demus Wed May 11, 2011 9:20 am

I have a brand new Harrow Monster. They're meant to be v. strong (designed as a box version of the Howitzer)...check out some of there reviews http://forums.insidelacrosse.com/showthread.php?t=51956
http://www.monstermesh.co.uk - The Best for Mesh! (and now also scandium shafts,heads, gloves, balls, dye and tape!)
wildcat

Postby wildcat Wed May 11, 2011 9:06 pm

I went through a period of liking composite sticks. I had a howitzer that lasted me a couple of years. Then a field attack, a brine composite and a rbk 9k which snapped in the same year, not without persuasion - (cross) checks.
Went to metal, said I wouldnt go back, and then on a US trip this year bought a Rbk 10k, which has played great so far.
I think they are nice to play with, but the alloys seem to have better longevity.
Teall

Postby Teall Sun May 15, 2011 3:35 pm

dannyecko wrote: it's not like your playing with a glass shaft at the end of the day.

lol

I think I might just buy one for next season...

http://www.captain-lax.com/Lacrosse-Sha ... -1204.html
or
http://www.captain-lax.com/Lacrosse-Sha ... -1207.html

I do need a new helmet though, so that might take priority.
ULLAX
snooplax

Postby snooplax Tue May 17, 2011 12:04 pm

Watch this space...........

New handle about to hit the market. Excellent weight/strength ratio. Cannot say too much at this point but they will be available soon.
dannyecko

Postby dannyecko Tue May 17, 2011 2:57 pm

snooplax wrote:Watch this space...........

New handle about to hit the market. Excellent weight/strength ratio. Cannot say too much at this point but they will be available soon.

Noooo... how can you leave it on such a cliff hanger? Spill... :D
Hull Lacrosse Club 2012-
Lax Bandicoot #42
webby

Postby webby Tue May 17, 2011 4:20 pm

Epoch?
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
snooplax

Postby snooplax Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 am

webby wrote:

Epoch?

:wink:

Northern Soul will be at the NCCA Final 4 Epoch Dealer Party. Hope to be bringing some products to Bluesfest. Heard nothing but good things from this company from our rep in the USA, their sample products have be in use this year in the NCAA.
webby

Postby webby Wed May 18, 2011 12:08 pm

snooplax wrote:
webby wrote:

Epoch?

:wink:

Northern Soul will be at the NCCA Final 4 Epoch Dealer Party. Hope to be bringing some products to Bluesfest. Heard nothing but good things from this company from our rep in the USA, their sample products have be in use this year in the NCAA.

Sweet. Will definitely have a gander at Blues.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com

Return to “Discussion”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register

Recent Topics