Play in a men's team? All men's specific forums can be found here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of the ELA men's rules can be found here
the pom

League north restructure

Postby the pom Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 pm

So a while ago we moved to a new league structure.

This seams to have caused

More cancellations

2 leagues being run which have difficulties filling fixture so twice as many people don’t get to play.

Massive issues in comparable standards of teams. Eg new ish teams getting 25-1 pasting every week (this I think has lead to some fixture being forfeited)

Some clubs only having a reduced number of games a season so struggling to keep people interested week in week out

We can admit there used to be issue in the old 5 division but now we have issues in the two bottom divisions and even prem two which is very varied on level of ability

Any one has any good suggestions of how we can correct this?

i think for some of the smaller teams in the north let them opt of of the prem leauge and just play in nemla this will resultin local games and a full fixture when they get stronger they could move down in the the prem league.
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
young_trig

Re: League north restructure

Postby young_trig Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:41 pm

the pom wrote:So a while ago we moved to a new league structure.

This seams to have caused

More cancellations

2 leagues being run which have difficulties filling fixture so twice as many people don’t get to play.

Massive issues in comparable standards of teams. Eg new ish teams getting 25-1 pasting every week (this I think has lead to some fixture being forfeited)

Some clubs only having a reduced number of games a season so struggling to keep people interested week in week out

We can admit there used to be issue in the old 5 division but now we have issues in the two bottom divisions and even prem two which is very varied on level of ability

Any one has any good suggestions of how we can correct this?

i think for some of the smaller teams in the north let them opt of of the prem leauge and just play in nemla this will result in local games and a full fixture when they get stronger they could move down in the the prem league.

So from what you are saying, can we assume that the only time fixtures got conceded in the old format were in Div 5? There were never canceled fixtures in the other divisions?

Also from what you are saying, before the restructure there were never teams getting a "pasting" from other teams in their division?

Which smaller teams in the north are you suggesting would want to opt out of Prem and just play in a "local league for local people, we don't want any of your type around here" league.

For any of the divisions that now have 8 teams, there has only been a reduction of 2 fixtures over the entire season. I can't remember a season in the last 5 years where all fixtures have been completed due to bad weather or postponements. There never seemed enough good weekends to actually get in 18 league fixtures plus cup. Prem 1 teams always get priority on a pitch but the lower teams have to take the hit.

There does seem to be a problem with fixtures for Prem 3, i.e. too many free weekends. This will be helped by the introduction of new clubs as they start up. There is likely to be one entering next year from the Yorkshire region. Otherwise, something should be considered to create more fixtures.

There is always going to be a difference in quality between a team coming down into a division and one coming up from the division below. This has always existed and isn't unique to current league format. In the old division 2, it wasn't uncommon to see the lower teams getting tonked by by the better teams. However, they did have more competitive games with the mid-table teams. Should they be denied that opportunity to play against a better standard?

Anyway, I've hooked onto your bait. Feel free to have a chuckle.

There is a NEMLA forum meeting this Thursday. Why don't you go along and express your views there?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
the pom

Postby the pom Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:40 pm

My answers to your comments

So from what you are saying, can we assume that the only time fixtures got conceded in the old format were in Div 5? There were never canceled fixtures in the other divisions?

No but you cannot deny we are seeing many more cry offs in total this year

Also from what you are saying, before the restructure there were never teams getting a "pasting" from other teams in their division?

No but again it is much more common and the difference in standard is greater than before.
For example there are players in the prem two leagues who are complete beginners playing national level players
I am not saying this has not happened before but it is normally in a team where there are stronger players around to cover this.
I saw a prem two game where a lad was playing for team a he was new to the game. team B just shut off on him with one of there England U19 long stick and took the ball off him every time team A was unable to support him as none of the team were particularly great players i would not be supprised if the kid from team A gave up
Which smaller teams in the north are you suggesting would want to opt out of Prem and just play in a "local league for local people, we don't want any of your type around here" league.

No in a league of bloody hell that team from not around here has cried of again as they only play at home or we have to travel a very long way to play an uncompetitive team.
For any of the divisions that now have 8 teams, there has only been a reduction of 2 fixtures over the entire season. I can't remember a season in the last 5 years where all fixtures have been completed due to bad weather or postponements. There never seemed enough good weekends to actually get in 18 league fixtures plus cup. Prem 1 teams always get priority on a pitch but the lower teams have to take the hit.

There does seem to be a problem with fixtures for Prem 3, i.e. too many free weekends. This will be helped by the introduction of new clubs as they start up. There is likely to be one entering next year from the Yorkshire region. Otherwise, something should be considered to create more fixtures.

I am sorry but the new teams are not appearing and some of the clubs are looking a bit shaky
There is always going to be a difference in quality between a team coming down into a division and one coming up from the division below. This has always existed and isn't unique to current league format. In the old division 2, it wasn't uncommon to see the lower teams getting tanked by the better teams. However, they did have more competitive games with the mid-table teams. Should they be denied that opportunity to play against a better standard?

No but in my opinion if you want to play better lacrosse get better and make your way up, I played for a small club with one team. It had a few like minded individuals we went up 3 divisions in 3 years and played in the prem for 4 or 5 years there is nothing stopping teams doing this

If the old 5 division was that bad the new teams would be out of it in a year and if good enough move up through the leagues

Anyway, I've hooked onto your bait. Feel free to have a chuckle.

i am not laughing another stupid restructure will only harm a sport I love playing more
There is a NEMLA forum meeting this Thursday. Why don't you go along and express your views there?

i am contemplating it but may be away with work also i could drag out the evening a bit as i do love to bicker
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
whopead

Postby whopead Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 pm

I agree with some of the poms comments.

I think the difference between top and bottom of Prem 2 is enourmous.

i think the difference between top and bottom of the old D2 was "almost" as big.

Nottingham ARE struggling to get to away fixtures this year, there is no denying that.

factors for this are:

1) lack of vehicles this year
2) more lacrosse during the week so some players are less inclined to spend the whole day at an away game (which i think is rubbish as i did it when i was at uni)
3) less players from the manchester region who would just go home for the weekend for away games.
4) 4 away games in a row Poynton, Mellor, Brooklands, Poynton.

I am by no means making excuses for our poor away record. There needs to be a solution from our perspective. what that is at the moment im not sure.

I havent checked, but i agree that more games are being conceded, but i dont think that many more.
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:34 pm

There is definatly a new team entering NEMLA next season. They have their ground sorted, permanent training base sorted, bought their legal goals, kit on the way and have already addressed the big issue of how they will get to away games. They are scheduling friendlies this season against clubs such as Hull, Leeds, Sheffield Steelers A and probably Nottingham I would imagine eventually.

They have four sources of players:
1) A local University
2) Link-up with local RAF bases
3) Players from the local area returning from University.
4) Players new to the game

The team is Lincoln and the players there are really keen to get into NEMLA. Three of their players are playing for Hull this season to make contacts with opponents for 2012/13 and to get some experience. We have already passed over a player who left us a year or so back with plenty of experience. They will also have 3 x Level 2 coaches by the time they enter and have 5 Level 1 qualified referee's already and have a strong development programme behind them. So they seem more than ready to enter.

Lets just hope those old established clubs failing to reach Hull this season are ready to travel just a little further!!!

The restructure may have short-term problems, but all we can hope is that people see the long-term viability of the structure.
Chairman & LDO, Hull Lacrosse Club
YCLA Committee Member

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hull_lacrosse_club/
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:23 am

That is great news

The east is doing well another couple of teams and it could be possible to produce a North West and north east league.

Similar to the set up in the south (which appears to work well).

or could we split it now 8 teams trigger has already said this is enough for a leaugue

shef uni
shef
york
hull
newcastle
leeds
nottingham
lincon
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:38 am

the pom wrote:That is great news

The east is doing well another couple of teams and it could be possible to produce a North West and north east league.

Similar to the set up in the south (which appears to work well).

or could we split it now 8 teams trigger has already said this is enough for a leaugue

shef uni
shef
york
hull
newcastle
leeds
nottingham
lincon

York folded last year and are no longer in NEMLA
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:51 am

could have a leauge with 7

I hear new teams are about to spring up every where
so it would only be for a short time.

but joking apart could this not work

shorter travel times more even standard leagues

how does the south east and west thing work this might work i am sure lots of teams around the M60 area would vote for this.
( are you sure i should come to that meeting)
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:06 am

the pom wrote:could have a leauge with 7

I hear new teams are about to spring up every where
so it would only be for a short time.

but joking apart could this not work

shorter travel times more even standard leagues

how does the south east and west thing work this might work i am sure lots of teams around the M60 area would vote for this.
( are you sure i should come to that meeting)

For some teams in your proposed division, that doesn't seem so bad. It would be detrimental to the likes of Steelers and Sheffield Uni who would most likely continue to be the biggest fish in the pond without anyone else big ever coming to join them or push them harder. The second any of the were promoted to Prem 1 the divisions would become uneven in size.

I know that Steelers actually rely on matches in the manchester area as they are able to fit it in around their junior program. When the juniors play in manchester in the morning, they are often given transport, coached, and refereed by players who are due to play in the sme area that afternoon. If not, they simply just have to get home across the penines. It would become impossible for those volunteers to help in the morning and then make a match in the North-East in the afternoon. It would be a big shame to compromise one of the few clubs in the north who are getting it right with their junior program!
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:09 am

There is a dilemma here of what is most important for the development of the game

1) Local Competition
2) Parity of Competition

Both are important but until the game develops further they are mutually exclusive

10 years down the line it would be great to see North West / North East & Midlands Leagues exist with multiple divisions in each region

Currently though for the sustainability of the game it is more important to have parity of competition so teams can enjoy the challenge of competing rather than have a short travel to a team that have 50 years of development and have won the League and Senior Flags in their first year as a club.

Lincoln vs Sheffield University simply does not make sense

In the Yorkshire Shield or an 8-a-side competition fine to be in the same division is not a healthy situation for development.

I didn't know York had folded, I enjoyed watching them play on Festival weekend when they were very competitive in the Final vs Mersey C a few years ago.

This should be a subject that all players have an interest in for the sustainability of the little game we all love

Unfortunately there is either apathy or being facetious on what is a serious subject for the future of the game
Chilli

Postby Chilli Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:25 am

Actually replicating the South model could work in the North and answer a lot of the problems referred to above.

SEMLA introduced a Premier Division and East and West Regional Divisions in 2006 when there were 25 teams.
There are now 51 active teams and a large part of the reason is the reduced travel commitments.

The Premiership was created from the top ten clubs across the South with the proviso that they had to commit to do the travelling to anywhere that a newly promoted team from the East and West leagues may appear from in the future, i.e. quality of game was more important than reduced travel.

This also built on the 'point for turning up' that had previously been introduced to ensure the maximum number of games were played (teams can't improve their standard if the opposition don't turn up because they are already safe from relegation or sure of promotion etc)

The East and West split began at the same time and was intended to ensure the future security of the existing clubs and encourage the creation of new clubs through less travel time and more 'local' matches
Importantly the winners of the East vs West Divisions do not have to take part in the Play-off game for promotion to the Premiership if the Club judges that it would not be in the interests of their Club.
For example, Bath won the West for two seasons and decided to stay down while they rebuilt their base. To have forced them to go up would have risked destroying the Club completely. The resurgence of Bath and the second team and the local Uni, all show the wisdom of this approach.
Similar decisions have been made by Brighton Panthers and Cambridge University.
The right to challenge for the Play-off place can pass down the division to avoid Clubs' second teams from blocking an ambitious single team club from trying for the Premiership spot.

The major principle driving the structure has to be what is good for the Clubs and therefore the long term health of the game while encouraging the creation of new clubs.

As a matter of interest, stats for conceded games in SEMLA over all divisions;
2008 371 games scheduled 15% conceded
2009 378 games 13% conceded
2010 352 games 4% conceded

Obviously many of the games conceded were due to the bad weather and mostly in the bottom divisions
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:44 am

Chilli, would you please be so kind as to explain to me how SEMLA promotion and relegation works.

If a west team wins promotion to the Premier, that leaves the West division one team light. An east team gets relegated from the premier and that leaves the east division with one team too many!

I'm obviously missing something here, but would appreciate it if you could explain how it works.

Cheers
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
Ketts19

Postby Ketts19 Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:51 am

Chilli

Out of interest can you tell us how the advent of BUCS men's lacrosse has impacted on the number of teams in SEMLA?

Have some teams dropped out, preferring to concentrate on their Wednesday uni fixtures?

From what's been discussed previosuly it appears that uni lacrosse will have an impact (both positive and negative) on how viable certain clubs are in the future. Lincoln picking up players form the uni will boost their numbers but as Whopead has found out at Nottingham, students there are prioritising Wednesday Bucs over Saturday NEMLA fixtures. I know Nottingham is a club team not a uni side but like a couple of other clubs (Newcastle for example )they rely on local uni students to form part of their team alongside local players. If you consider Notts club have a catchment of two Nottingham universities in Notts Uni and Trent plus occassionally some players from Loughborough, that's quite a few players to pick from but Notts have still had to concede fixtures!!!

Is the addition of BUCS making some of these uni-reliant clubs less secure?
Jedi Lax #19

Some people are beyond help....myself included
Chilli

Postby Chilli Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:53 am

Trig, the relegated Premiership team will go into the top division of the relevant regional league, it may simply replace the team being promoted.
BTW, there is also a Loser of EvW play-off vs 9th placed Premiership team game to give extra 'spice' to the end of season Premiership games and an extra opportunity for new teams.
Any differences in numbers in the regional divisions are then adjusted for next season.
Since we have had to accommodate new teams joining each season there has always been the need to adjust the numbers in the regional divisions anyway, so the extra one coming down is never an issue.
Chilli

Postby Chilli Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:07 am

Regarding BUCS, this was a hugely positive development for the game.

Several Universities left SEMLA in the first season but I am pretty sure (without doing a check) that all of them are now back in SEMLA with their second team.
This suits all the non-Uni clubs as it provides a good starting point in the lower divisions to start other new teams, new clubs, new players and transition juniors into the game.

A couple more have expressed their wish to join SEMLA next season

We have tried to encourage town clubs to run alongside the Uni clubs wherever there is someone willing to start it. The Centurions have been incredibly supportive of this.

Obviously some town/Uni links will work better than others and some seasons will be better than others, we have to look at it in the whole. As SEMLA we have to get the structure right and provide support at grass roots level.

Certainly the numbers of graduates that clubs in the South are getting has grown dramatically allowing the improvement of first team standards and the development of second and third teams.

As a local example, Reading Uni is coached by our LDOs for the BUCs games and 5/6 of their players form the backbone of our third team alongside 6/7 Reading School players and a few non-Uni players
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:11 am

Ketts19 wrote:Chilli

Out of interest can you tell us how the advent of BUCS men's lacrosse has impacted on the number of teams in SEMLA?

Have some teams dropped out, preferring to concentrate on their Wednesday uni fixtures?

From what's been discussed previosuly it appears that uni lacrosse will have an impact (both positive and negative) on how viable certain clubs are in the future. Lincoln picking up players form the uni will boost their numbers but as Whopead has found out at Nottingham, students there are prioritising Wednesday Bucs over Saturday NEMLA fixtures. I know Nottingham is a club team not a uni side but like a couple of other clubs (Newcastle for example )they rely on local uni students to form part of their team alongside local players. If you consider Notts club have a catchment of two Nottingham universities in Notts Uni and Trent plus occassionally some players from Loughborough, that's quite a few players to pick from but Notts have still had to concede fixtures!!!

Is the addition of BUCS making some of these uni-reliant clubs less secure?

Ketts, you make a good point.
In the case of York last year, they just couldn't get 2 matches a week out of their students. They entered NEMLA when BUCS hadn't really taken off and quickly found it hard to juggle both.

Their players struggled with the concept that that fixtures still carry on even outside of Uni time. As a result they were conceding far too many fixtures around Christmas and Easter and finally decided to call it a day and just focus on BUCS.

You would expect this to have similar effects with teams such as Sheffield Uni but they are helped by the fact that they have a rich history with attracting players from the manchester area. Therefore they are still able to fulfill fixtures around the holidays as most of their guys are still in the right area. Teams like York had all their players spread out around the UK which made it impossible to put a team out during the holiday.

Nottigham have highlighted that their players are drawn more from around the UK rather than the manchester influx they used to get. This has made it less desirable for their players to fulfill matches over in Manchester.

Here in Leeds we've managed to get a happy balance. We can on any given weekend put out a team of non-students but there is no doubt that our squad is strengthened by some of the high caliber of students from the Uni sides. It is however to a difficulty to find the right balance. if the team becomes too dependent on uni players, it will struggle when they graduate away or even just go home for the holidays. I think before any team enters into NEMLA they have to be honest in considering are they truly a club team who can put out a squad around christmas, say, or Easter. If the answer is no, then I'm afraid NEMLA isn't really the place for them.

I will say though that wothout really the infrastructure yet in place for junior development, the current set-up is working well in Leeds. A city team that is made of permanent residents but has the 2 uni teams feeding into it. Hopefully Nottingham will start to see a few more non-students stay in the area and bring some stability to the city team.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Just a few points
Quote from trig)
"I know that Steelers actually rely on matches in the Manchester area as they are able to fit it in around their junior program. When the juniors play in Manchester in the morning, they are often given transport, coached, and refereed by players who are due to play in the same area that afternoon. If not, they simply just have to get home across the penines. It would become impossible for those volunteers to help in the morning and then make a match in the North-East in the afternoon. It would be a big shame to compromise one of the few clubs in the north who are getting it right with their junior program!"

No more so than a team from Manchester
Help with juniors in the morning then get to north east is not an option for Manchester teams either.

When I have brought up the question of the current league structure creating vast differences in quality of teams in one league I have been given answers such as Quote trig
"Should they be denied that opportunity to play against a better standard?"

Chilli has pointed out the south have this right and how it has worked down there with the large distances they had to travel
As we are now seeing in the north.

Anyway this would create an uneven league I the east but it would sort it self out in a couple of years (as has been stated would happen in the current north structure)

New teams that try to start out will have less distance to travel it should be easier for them to get going

i can see how there would be short term pain for some clubs(just as there was with the last restructure) but this looks like a long term option with a proven track record as it has worked well in the south
buckers_the_great

Postby buckers_the_great Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Just to throw this out there......
In the South it is split East/West however there are still travelling distances of up to 189 miles in one of the bottom leagues (Chichester to Norwich)
Whereas in the North the furthest distance without an East/West split is only 173 miles (Newcastle to Liverpool)

If SEMLA East 3 can manage these distances i'm sure NEMLA Prem 2 etc can?

Would it also be interesting to look at which teams do actually concede games, as certainly when i was at Newcastle previously it wasn't us conceding away games ever other week it was very much the other way around.
Flt Lt Mark Buckley
RAF High Wycombe

RAF Lacrosse (Association Secretary) #17 2005-2020
SEMLA Referee
Welwyn Warriors #whatever's going spare 2011
Newcastle Knights #17 2008-2010, Toon Army #17 Forever
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:16 pm

I am not intending to start an argument over who concedes games just putting an idea out there which could help reduce the number of concede games and help with the development of new clubs.

I have just had a look and

Football
Rugby
Hockey
Handball
Chess

All have smaller regional leagues which then feed wider areas so this works in the real world

Chili can you remember what the main arguments were against the current structure in the south? and how they were proved wrong any additional stats on this would be great as there is a meeting on thursday
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:47 pm

the pom wrote:I am not intending to start an argument over who concedes games just putting an idea out there which could help reduce the number of concede games and help with the development of new clubs.

I have just had a look and

Football
Rugby
Hockey
Handball
Chess

All have smaller regional leagues which then feed wider areas so this works in the real world

Chili can you remember what the main arguments were against the current structure in the south? and how they were proved wrong any additional stats on this would be great as there is a meeting on thursday

I think the problem with this Pom, is that what you are suggesting is only really wanted by some in the Manchester region. I don't believe it is wanted by those in the North-East region. We like playing against those in the Manchester area. There is a lot of history there and we have a lot to learn from them. The traveling really isn't that far and definitely within some of the distances that are possible within the south east leagues. We would essentially be segregated off because a few clubs don't like traveling more than 30 minutes to get to a game.

I personally believe that there is too much of a gap in ability to go to a flat 2 tier structure. With the current number of teams, there is just enough to keep to a 3 tier structure and try and match as best as possible the competitiveness between the teams. Some teams will get promoted and become stronger and stick around at a higher level.

Liverpool got very unlucky over the summer. The team that got promoted last year was excellent and would have given a lot of teams in Prem 2 a run for there money. They lost some very good players. The same has happened in the past with strong A teams who got promoted only to see their better players promoted to the 1st team.
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1

Return to “Men's”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register