ProLaxShop

England Lacrosse Trials (4th & 11th December 2011)

Play in a men's team? All men's specific forums can be found here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of the ELA men's rules can be found here
OWULax17

England Lacrosse Trials (4th & 11th December 2011)

Postby OWULax17 Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:12 pm

To All England Hopefuls-

This is a quick reminder that the first open trial for the England National Lacrosse Team will take place on Sunday morning, 4th December 2011 from 10:00 to 14:00 at the University of Manchester in Fallowfield, Manchester (M14 6HE). The second will take place on Sunday morning, 11th December 2011 from 10:00 to 14:00 at the Walcountian Blues L.C. in Woodmansterne, Surrey (SM7 3HU). You are only required to come to one but may attend both if you desire. It will cost £30.00 to attend each trial, with all proceeds going toward expenses to cover the event. From these open trials, a select squad of roughly 40 players will be chosen going forward, which will ultimately be narrowed down to 23 players (plus 3-4 reserve players) in mid-April. All players will need to either hold a valid U.K. passport, be married to a U.K. national, have at least one U.K. grandparent, or possess a Residence Permit allowing them to live in the United Kingdom through the date of the 2012 European Championships. Good luck to all England hopefuls, and I look forward to seeing you in the next few weeks!

King Regards,
-Matt Bagley
Head Coach: England Men's National Lacrosse Team
UKLaxfan

Re: England Lacrosse Trials (4th & 11th December 2011)

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:22 pm

I attended this trial this morning purely as a spectator and fan of the game.

It was a terrible day for lacrosse, hail storms, freezing rain and a bitterly cold wind blowing across the astroturf field at the Armitage Centre (Manchester University)

The day was very well organised with about 8-10 Coaches acting as Coaches or assessors on the day, each player was given a reversible England training bib with a number on when they registered, so player identification was very easy.

They were also given a Skill Profile sheet for each position, so they knew what skills there were going to be assessed on (Good Idea)

The format of the day 10:00-13:00 was
- SAQ warm-up & dynamic stretch (20 mins)
- Stick Skills (left & right handed)
- Position Specific Skills,
- the group was then split into three smaller groups which did a rotation on three separate stations
- Station One - Fitness test (shuttle runs, Press up, Star Jumps, Burpees more shuttle runs) this looked brutal but I was really impressed by commitment of players ignoring the conditions and giving it there all.
- Station Two - half field Attack vs Defence around a goal (looked like Progression Drill + other odd man drills)
- Station Three - Half Field again but with clearing to halfway line, lots of reps for all players.

-Water Break-

Full Field transition drill, with middies having to play both ways (some good speed on show in midfield)

The day was brought to a close by three 15 Minute scrimmage games, where each of the groups played each other.
A v B
B v C
A v C

There was a 10 mins debrief for all attendees letting them know what happens next and when.

There were approx 50 players who attended the Open Trial

There was some excellent lacrosse on display at pace and there are some superb athletes amongst the trialists

Overall it was very well run trial with some great performances in what can only be described as terrible conditions

Defence seemed to have the upper hand in general but I suppose that is to be expected when you are playing with players you don't know.

It was nice to see some players I've never seen before but who could play the game at a high level

Congratulations to all concerned for putting the effort in and not letting the weather impact the trial.

Good Luck to all those who will be attending the England Trial in the South next week

Be prepared to work hard on the day and give it your best shot.

It was a pleasure to watch
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:44 am

So how does this work?

All players who were part of the squad in the worlds are automatically in I imagine this is the full training squad

E.g. they did not need to trial.

So how many places are left for the 100+ players who are trying out.

Or will players form the previous squad just get a phone call that some one tried out they were better than you your out.

It just seams a little odd.

In America all players had to try out
In Canada all players have to try out
In Australia all players have to make themselves available for state lacrosse and then are selected form the A.L.L league.

In England we hold a trial for a team where it is most positions appear to be taken.

does someone know how this works?

please be aware this is not a dig at the england set up just a question that came up at the week end
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
Nikon

Postby Nikon Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:44 am

UKLaxfan wrote:I attended this trial this morning purely as a spectator and fan of the game.

It was a terrible day for lacrosse, hail storms, freezing rain and a bitterly cold wind blowing across the astroturf field at the Armitage Centre (Manchester University)

The day was very well organised with about 8-10 Coaches acting as Coaches or assessors on the day, each player was given a reversible England training bib with a number on when they registered, so player identification was very easy.

They were also given a Skill Profile sheet for each position, so they knew what skills there were going to be assessed on (Good Idea)

The format of the day 10:00-13:00 was
- SAQ warm-up & dynamic stretch (20 mins)
- Stick Skills (left & right handed)
- Position Specific Skills,
- the group was then split into three smaller groups which did a rotation on three separate stations
- Station One - Fitness test (shuttle runs, Press up, Star Jumps, Burpees more shuttle runs) this looked brutal but I was really impressed by commitment of players ignoring the conditions and giving it there all.
- Station Two - half field Attack vs Defence around a goal (looked like Progression Drill + other odd man drills)
- Station Three - Half Field again but with clearing to halfway line, lots of reps for all players.

-Water Break-

Full Field transition drill, with middies having to play both ways (some good speed on show in midfield)

The day was brought to a close by three 15 Minute scrimmage games, where each of the groups played each other.
A v B
B v C
A v C

There was a 10 mins debrief for all attendees letting them know what happens next and when.

There were approx 50 players who attended the Open Trial

There was some excellent lacrosse on display at pace and there are some superb athletes amongst the trialists

Overall it was very well run trial with some great performances in what can only be described as terrible conditions

Defence seemed to have the upper hand in general but I suppose that is to be expected when you are playing with players you don't know.

It was nice to see some players I've never seen before but who could play the game at a high level

Congratulations to all concerned for putting the effort in and not letting the weather impact the trial.

Good Luck to all those who will be attending the England Trial in the South next week

Be prepared to work hard on the day and give it your best shot.

It was a pleasure to watch

Who of the non-regular England squad members impressed you Dave?
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:04 pm

the pom wrote:So how does this work?

All players who were part of the squad in the worlds are automatically in I imagine this is the full training squad

E.g. they did not need to trial.

So how many places are left for the 100+ players who are trying out.

Or will players form the previous squad just get a phone call that some one tried out they were better than you your out.

It just seams a little odd.

In America all players had to try out
In Canada all players have to try out
In Australia all players have to make themselves available for state lacrosse and then are selected form the A.L.L league.

In England we hold a trial for a team where it is most positions appear to be taken.

does someone know how this works?

please be aware this is not a dig at the england set up just a question that came up at the week end

All existing squad members (from the 2010 WCs) were asked to state their intentions with regards the Euros next year. All those wishing to carry on were told that they must trial (i.e. attend either one of north or south trial).
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
crazygoalieLAX

Postby crazygoalieLAX Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Hi

I covered the first trial on my blog, which is going crazy for hits at the moment and spreading the word of Lacrosse to a lot of people through Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. If anyone is going to the second trials I would really appreciate another post like before with all that happened on the day, as I cannot get there myself.

I will obviously cite you on the page if you want!

Thanks

Jamie

http://crazygoalielax.wordpress.com/

@crazygoalieLAX
the pom

Postby the pom Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:29 pm

[quote="davidmcculloch81All existing squad members (from the 2010 WCs) were asked to state their intentions with regards the Euros next year. All those wishing to carry on were told that they must trial (i.e. attend either one of north or south trial).[/quote]

I have been miss informed

so who from the current squad tried out on sat?
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
stocklax26

Postby stocklax26 Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:16 pm

England National Team 2010 WC Members Present

G - Nick Anderton
G - Ben McAllister

D - Andrew Baxter
D - Paul Ryan
D - Tom Williamson

LSM - Sam Patterson

M - Tom Gallon
M - Tom Gosnay

A - Ady Bennett

Not Available (College Commitments)

D - Jak Wav
A - Nick Watson

2008 England Team Present

M - Ben Lyons
A - Glen Humphrys
webby

Postby webby Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Kyle Standiford (Former Amherst University, Durham 2010-11, Newcastle 2010-11 & Yorkshire 2011) and Bennett Standiford (Former Trinity University and Newcastle 2011) flew over from the States to take part. No news regarding how they got on, but they're both quality players (D/LSM) who have been working hard. Many will remember Kyle for his ridiculously long hair!

Glad to hear despite the horrid conditions that the quality was decent. I thought there would have been more posts about it but I guess that's the nature of English Lacrosse.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
the pom

Postby the pom Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Quite a change in personnel then for the euros

only 13 from the last squad(not including those in the south).
orange05
League Mod
League Mod

Postby orange05 Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:22 pm

Well, there were a few North American-based players in the 23

Lewis Ratcliff
Cayle Ratcliff
Todd Baxter
Evan Roberts
Joe Duncan
Sam Russell
Nick Watson
Jak Wawrzyniak

So that leaves 15 from 'over here', one or two of whom may have retired - Mark Reynolds perhaps?
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:27 pm

orange05 wrote:Well, there were a few North American-based players in the 23

Lewis Ratcliff
Cayle Ratcliff
Todd Baxter
Evan Roberts
Joe Duncan
Sam Russell
Nick Watson
Jak Wawrzyniak

So that leaves 15 from 'over here', one or two of whom may have retired - Mark Reynolds perhaps?

Yeah, there was some special consideration for the overseas guys. Those who are interested are still in contention as far as I know.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:42 pm

So who attended the Southern trials? What were the numbers like and who stood out?
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
Terpslax3

Postby Terpslax3 Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Anybody know when the 40 man squad is announced? Will be interesting to see if many south players get on the squad or whether it will be dominated by the Northern players with a few Americans thrown in the mix.
Notaeus

Postby Notaeus Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:11 am

Terpslax3 wrote:Anybody know when the 40 man squad is announced? Will be interesting to see if many south players get on the squad or whether it will be dominated by the Northern players with a few Americans thrown in the mix.

December 16th. Just a few more days!
VinceGrimes

Postby VinceGrimes Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:22 pm

ANy news on a roster release yet?
ArchLevel Lacrosse Family Member
Loughborough University Men's Head Coach
South England Universities Head Coach
www.ArchLevelLacrosse.com
www.TheALFactory.com
www.TheArchLevelReport.com
Terpslax3

Postby Terpslax3 Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:55 pm

Heard through the grapevine that some people still haven't found out if they're on the team or not. Wouldn't imagine the full roster to be posted until everyone has been told.
Vince #66

Postby Vince #66 Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:19 pm

Return to “Men's”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register