Play in a men's team? All men's specific forums can be found here

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of the ELA men's rules can be found here
JustaLAXbrah

Defense training ?

Postby JustaLAXbrah Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:50 am

Hey I play defense and are there any training things I could do at home to increase my skills on the field. I play short stick and I can run it down. I used to play mid fielder.
c_green

Re: Defense training ?

Postby c_green Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:38 am

Wall ball, ground balls and agility/footwork can be done by yourself at home. Watch videos on-line and look at what the defenders are doing. Why are you playing in D with a short stick?
University of Lincoln Lacrosse 2008-2011
Lincoln City Lacrosse Club 2011-
JustaLAXbrah

Postby JustaLAXbrah Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:59 pm

For me I'm a really fast runner. I ran a 5:23 mile and with a short stick I can play the ball better. Such as scoop easier and then be able to get it out of the zone faster. So if I can get it out faster more goals for us, less goals for them.
KagedAnimal

Postby KagedAnimal Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:54 pm

There is a youngster at Welwyn who got called up for first team duty this year that plays close D with a shortie. When we first saw him our attackers immediately knew who we would be dodging on.

Well the joke was on us. The kid held his ground and played some of the smartest defense I've seen. Because he wasn't wielding a long-pole he had to depend on his body position and his footwork to play his man. He could not rely on his stick as so many poles tend to do. Because of it, he was difficult to burn and more effective than had he been lugging around a longpole that he might not be able to control.

No shame in doing whatever you have to do to play the best D you can. Defence isnt about being pretty anyway, its about being effective.

If you want to improve your D game, then really work on your footwork this summer. Most defenders spend so much time worrying about their hands that they forget that a take away check is worthless if you cant keep up with your mark. Agility is more important for a defender than strength.

You said you are good at legging it down the field, work on not having to. The best clearing defenders in the game are not guys who go coast-to-coast. They are they guys that scoop a ground ball on the run and pass it down field in under 2 seconds. The ball, no matter how fast you are, will always be faster than you. If watch the northern teams, and the American teams, you'll see the same thing. Almost immediately upon grabbing the GB, the defender is moving the ball along downfield. This is what makes their transition game so effective. It's not one guy taking 20 seconds to go end to end. It 3 passes that get from goal to goal in 6 seconds for a fast break and a shot. So yeah, work on that.
Blues #00
South
Princess

Postby Princess Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:06 pm

KagedAnimal wrote:TNo shame in doing whatever you have to do to play the best D you can. Defence isnt about being pretty anyway, its about being effective.

Il remember that one next time your trying to b*llock me in a game :wink:
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
KagedAnimal

Postby KagedAnimal Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 am

Princess wrote:
KagedAnimal wrote:TNo shame in doing whatever you have to do to play the best D you can. Defence isnt about being pretty anyway, its about being effective.

Once you start being effective I'll stop b*llocking :lol:
Blues #00
South
Princess

Postby Princess Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:42 am

KagedAnimal wrote:
Princess wrote:

Once you start being effective I'll stop b*llocking :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO

Return to “Men's”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register