ProLaxShop

Assist or not

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
eww

Assist or not

Postby eww Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:23 pm

i was wondering what is an assist and what isnt .. cos ive heard "if a goal is scored 4 seconds after the ball was passed to him" and four steps and all kind of stuff and i was wondering how long it is before the person who passed the ball to the goal scorer cant claim an assist
Ewan Willsmer
hooters86

Postby hooters86 Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:44 pm

I think the previous pass to a player who scores is always classed as an assist unless of a break in play.
james_512

Postby james_512 Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:51 pm

not really rules, but i think it comes down to common sense really..

you pick up a ground ball dodge past a defender and pass to an open man on the crease and you can claim the assist.

you pass the ball to a player while your spinning the ball around and he dodges three players and scores then its not really an assist.

the team score is more important anyways
eww

Postby eww Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:36 pm

yeah obvvvvvvviously the team score is more important but i was wondering if there was an official rule to it?
Ewan Willsmer
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:31 pm

NCAA College Sports Informtion Directors (SIDs) who are responsible for publishing ll information Game Notes pre-game and game reports & Stats (Box Scores) post-game use a two Step Rule.

If a player passes to a teammate who takes more than two steps or dodge a man before shooting then no assist is awarded.

So if you pass to a man on EMO who then takes a 16 yard shot and scores, you get credited an assist.

If you clear the ball full field bet two defenders pass to a man who face dodges the sliding defender rushing out to him then NO Assist.

Some schools SIDs are more strict than others but generally the two step rule holds true.

The Assist should be for someone creating a scoring opportunity not just passing to someone who then creates their own opportunity and scores.
eww

Postby eww Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:46 am

thanks that clears things up
Ewan Willsmer

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”