ProLaxShop

GoPro use in games

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
ReadingWildcat

GoPro use in games

Postby ReadingWildcat Mon May 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Hey there,

Just recently got myself a GoPro so I can shoot some vid's of training and possibly games (rule dependent) from the goalie's perspective.

Is there any rule that disallows the usage of a GoPro in games?

Cheers all
cjlax

Re: GoPro use in games

Postby cjlax Mon May 12, 2014 5:23 pm

We met a lot of resistance from Refs at Blues Fest last year.... Supposedly it was too dangerous to wear as a body cam or helmet cam.
ReadingWildcat

Postby ReadingWildcat Mon May 12, 2014 5:36 pm

Ah that sucks, seems it'll be a training only then
the pom

Postby the pom Tue May 13, 2014 9:14 am

every time I see one on top of a helmet there is a massive temptation to try and knock it off.
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Tue May 13, 2014 2:52 pm

cjlax wrote:We met a lot of resistance from Refs at Blues Fest last year.... Supposedly it was too dangerous to wear as a body cam or helmet cam.

I can understand it on a helmet for an outfield player, if that player was a tool and speared someone, it could hurt. Some people link laxers wearing go pros with being a tool. So logic would dictate that they would also try to spear someone as they are a tool.

As for goalie cam, I'd have thought that would be a pretty interesting perspective.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
ReadingWildcat

Postby ReadingWildcat Tue May 13, 2014 3:13 pm

I can understand the temptation to knock it off haha

- I'm a friendly goalie that just wants to film some shots from helmet cam, i promise! -
I wonder if being set between the pipes and seen as a stationary (half the time in my case) player would pass as an exception. If not, it'll just be used for summer training I guess and some cool shots.
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Tue May 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Can't see how any referee would allow an attachment to a helmet like a GoPro regardless of which position. Mind you, the refs in a Premiership 1 game last season were going to allow the game to start with one goalie not having a throat guard, so anything's possible!
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
dom#10

Postby dom#10 Wed May 14, 2014 12:55 pm

Attach it to the crossbar? Same perspective and maybe less hassle from refs?
Bristol Bombers #10
Bristol Uni #10
ex-Reading Wildcats #10
ReadingWildcat

Postby ReadingWildcat Wed May 14, 2014 1:24 pm

That is probably do - able and quite nice for highlights.. My only worry is someone breaking it with a shot.

Here's my first little experiment with it if anyone is interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fypn8DeuRsQ
Cheers guys.
jsgi

Postby jsgi Sat May 17, 2014 9:10 am

it is an interesting one....The two relevant rules are:

18.1 "no player shall wear or carry equipment, which in the opinion of the officials endangers him or other players"

18.7 "A player or Substitute may not wear jewellery or ornamentation..." except a religious or medical item securely taped so as not to interfere with a crosse or player

Not sure a camera can be considered as Jewellery or ornamentation...

There is also the (very small) chance that it could impact the game by deflecting an on target shot.

Personally I would be OK with it on a goalkeeper in a festival like bluesfest but not in any serious game. On an outfield player, I doubt that a helmet with a camera attached is any more dangerous than the helmet itself (having just seem a fairly horrific injury caused by a helmet at the BNCs the other week) but if someone was injured by the camera and I had allowed it then **** falls on me and as such I would probably ask for the camera to be removed. Again I may be tempted to let it go at Bluesfest, but would laugh loudly as I threw my flag if a slash managed to break it...

As technology gets better I can see helmets with built in cameras materialising....Perhaps I should go and invent something!

Other referees may have differing opinions.
--------------------------------------------------
Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Sun May 18, 2014 10:05 pm

Surprised by your comments jsgi.

Firstly "Personally I would be OK with it on a goalkeeper in a festival like bluesfest but not in any serious game"
... so festival like bluesfest = non-serious game? So are you suggesting that Bluesfest is not played to the the standard safety rules of lacrosse??

Secondly, "but would laugh loudly as I threw my flag if a slash managed to break it..." Why would it be a slash if it's a non-specified allowable addition to a standard lacrosse helmet? If a clean swipe took it clean off, then it's more a brush than anything else I've ever witnessed.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel

www.uklacrosse.com
jsgi

Postby jsgi Sun May 18, 2014 11:45 pm

UKLacrosse wrote:Surprised by your comments jsgi.

Firstly "Personally I would be OK with it on a goalkeeper in a festival like bluesfest but not in any serious game"
... so festival like bluesfest = non-serious game? So are you suggesting that Bluesfest is not played to the the standard safety rules of lacrosse??

Secondly, "but would laugh loudly as I threw my flag if a slash managed to break it..." Why would it be a slash if it's a non-specified allowable addition to a standard lacrosse helmet? If a clean swipe took it clean off, then it's more a brush than anything else I've ever witnessed.

If you read my comments properly ....

I said that I don't think that there is an increased risk to safety by wearing a helmet camera

And that I said I would laugh if it was a slash...I was not considering the idea of a very well controlled "brush" taking the camera off without contact with the helmet ;-)
--------------------------------------------------

Blues #19

"What we have got here is failure to communicate"
cjlax

Postby cjlax Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 am

UKLacrosse wrote:Surprised by your comments jsgi.

... so festival like bluesfest = non-serious game? So are you suggesting that Bluesfest is not played to the the standard safety rules of lacrosse??.

Serious stuff this Blues Fest...!

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”