ProLaxShop

Lacrosse Helmets

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Phil D

Lacrosse Helmets

Postby Phil D Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:45 pm

So I was talking to a friend of mine, who doesn't play lacrosse, about how I got involved in the gams, the general rules and rough costs involved in starting out. Cutting the story short, we ended up talking about what could or couldn't be classed as a lacrosse helmet and I wasn't sure of the answer.

All I had to offer (which I have only heard, and can't find anywhere) was that a hockey goalie helmet couldn't be used. My understanding for this is that the back of a hockey goalie helmet doesn't provide enough protection as the chances of being hit in the back of the head are slim as they don't play behind the goal.

The FIL rules state:

Rule 17 Personal Equipment
17.1 All players are required to wear protective gloves, suitable boots or shoes, and a protective helmet equipped with a facemask and a chinstrap, which must be properly fastened on both sides.

... but that is all I can find.

Does anybody know if there are any more specific rules than that? Does the FIL approve certain helmet models or manufacturers (Brine/Warrior/Cascade etc.) or is it down to the referees interpretation? Under the above rule presumably and ice hockey or canoe polo helmet would be permitted, so long as the ball wouldn't fit between the face mask? What about a cricket helmet, I wouldn't play in one but it fits the above rule?

Phil
Mort rotu

Re: Lacrosse Helmets

Postby Mort rotu Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 pm

I thought they had to have been signed off by somebody (NOCSAE?) for use in field lax....but that might just be in a certain country (Canada if memory serves)
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
zoobia

Postby zoobia Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:46 am

I've seen the following situation called differently over the past couple of months and thought it may be worth asking the question in order to get clarification, spread the word and develop greater consistency:
brownsteve661

Postby brownsteve661 Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:11 am

Yes, all players are required to wear protective gloves, suitable boots or shoes, and a protective helmet equipped with a facemask and a chinstrap, which must be properly fastened on both sides.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”