ProLaxShop

Silly Season question

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
bobmac

Silly Season question

Postby bobmac Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 am

Attacker in possession runs by defender who knocks attackers stick from his grasp. Ball remains in attackers stick. Without interfering with the attacker, who's momentum has carried him on past, the defender drops his own stick, picks up attackers stick & passes to a team mate. Do you make a call?
LivTeamJones26

Re: Silly Season question

Postby LivTeamJones26 Wed May 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Technical foul against the Defender - throwing his stick. No posession at the time so ball goes the attacker's way.
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Liverpool Lacrosse Fixtures Sec 2012-13
bobmac

Postby bobmac Thu May 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Don't you consider that harsh? If the ball had been stuck in the attacker's stick, for whatever reason possession would have been awarded to the defender. The defenders made a good play, dislodging the stick, now he would have difficulty picking up the ball as its still in the attacker's stick.

Don't know what I would call in the circumstances but I can see both teams questioning whatever was decided.

I'm pretty sure the "throwing the stick" rule was brought in to stop players throwing a stick to "catch" a ball that is out of reach, or throwing a stick in attempt to check an opponent. Simply dropping your stick is not a foul (unless it is done to gain an advantage?)
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Thu May 02, 2013 3:46 pm

I'd argue he gains an advantage by picking up someone elses stick and playing with it.

Another way of thinking about it: If he drops his stick, everything he then does is playing without a stick, so the act of picking up another person's stick is a technical foul and same result.

Best off just attempting to kick or flick the ball out of the opponent's stick, if it stay in there then ref blows up attack for witholding the ball.
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Liverpool Lacrosse Fixtures Sec 2012-13
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Thu May 02, 2013 5:28 pm

I'd call it as an interference by reflex. After pondering a while, I think it is probably a hold by the defender. Either way, technical foul by defender, change of possession, don't be so cheeky next time!
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09
Rotisserie

Postby Rotisserie Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 pm

They changed the NCAA rules this year so that if this situation occurs the defending team is awarded possession. Seems like a fairly reasonable rule but I doubt you'll see it make it's way to FIL rules any time soon.
cjlax

Postby cjlax Fri May 03, 2013 7:36 am

Isn't there a rule that prevents a player from swapping sticks on the field whilst in play?

I always remember when running an lsm but with only 10 men the player had to come off the field swap sticks and run back on. I would think this is similar... ?
ibop
League Mod
League Mod

Postby ibop Fri May 03, 2013 11:46 am

Nope, no such rule in the English game, and people wail and complain about it nearly every game!

Players on the field may exchange crosses. A player on the field may not exchange with a player off the field without leaving via the substitution box.
As far as I read the rules, players leaving the field on penalty may exchange crosses with a player who is remaining on the field. Often players bleat about this, but never have I had a referee object. A great benefit when you've got 3 defenders playing midfield and one of the poles gets sent off.
The only time he takes his foot out of his mouth, is to put the other one in!

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne #4 08-
Durham #4 05-09
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Sun May 05, 2013 9:46 am

Simultaneous technical fouls. Attacker is witholding the ball from play, defender is interfering with an opponent's equipment. Whistle to stop play and restart with a face, the ball having been loose.
bobmac

Postby bobmac Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm

JK - sounds the best call to me.
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Tue May 07, 2013 12:18 am

With the new changes its just an immediate whistle for witholding and possession awarded.
D99

Postby D99 Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 pm

bobmac

Postby bobmac Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for the link which answers the question (from a US perspective). Looks like MG has got it completely right.
jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Thu May 09, 2013 7:11 pm

I concur. However, if you haven't whistled before the opponent picks up the stick then you have simultaneous fouls.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”