ProLaxShop

Losing the head from the crosse

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
bobmac

Losing the head from the crosse

Postby bobmac Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:42 pm

I seem to recall an additional ruling a few years ago that if the head of a player's crosse became detached in playing the ball or checking an opponent it was to be called a Technical Foul. I can't find it in the current rules - have I dreamed the whole thing? Are other refs calling this?
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Re: Losing the head from the crosse

Postby rpowell Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:53 pm

You're not crazy... I can see it in the Referee's Manual (as of the 2012 version).
On page 72, under section 9.23.
Disturbingly this is just after section 9.21 - apparently we are missing section 9.22... :)
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod

Postby rpowell Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:05 pm

And in the rulebook itself:
"63.3 If, as a player shoots, passes the ball, attempts to play an opponent or attempts to play a loose ball or a ball in flight, the head of his stick comes off, then that player has committed the
technical foul of using an illegal stick."

Funnily enough, had this happen in a game yesterday... I just asked the player concerned not to take any part in play with the broken stick, when technically, I probably should have (a) thrown a flag and (b) told him not to take any further part in play with the broken stick.
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Haha ... not so funny as the game I saw when it first came in. Player lost the head from his d-pole, then checked a player at least 2-3 times with the shaft. Not only should that have been a 30 sec penalty, but each time he used an illegal stick should have been a penalty .... would that be a 1 min penalty each time? Fact is he got nothing except told to leave the field and sort his stick out!!! I was the CBO in the game, but the panel ref and the home ref didn't penalise him.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Definitely shouldn't have been allowed to do it two or three times. Ref should have blown as soon as he saw him attempt to play with an exposed shaft end. Bloomin dangerous, that.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
bobmac

Postby bobmac Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks for that RP - I can rest easy I did make a correct call last week!

I note that the "full list of mens rules" link on this website is not up to date as Rule 63.3 is omitted, (note to forum moderator - up to date rules please) but the link on the ELA website does include the appropriate subsection.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”