ProLaxShop

BUCS-specific question re pitch markings.

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Tree13

BUCS-specific question re pitch markings.

Postby Tree13 Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Level 1 qualified ref here - If I turn up to referee a BUCS men's league game and upon arrival discover that the pitch is not marked correctly, do I HAVE to call the game off?

Additionally is there any difference in my obligation if the markings are entirely absent, as opposed to present but incorrect in some aspect?

I am concerned with my own personal liability under health and safety legislation and insurance provisions - am I going to be held personally liable if I allow the game to go ahead with inadequate or non-existent pitch markings, and someone gets hurt?
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
whopead

Re: BUCS-specific question re pitch markings.

Postby whopead Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:43 pm

I dont see that pitch markings are a massive safety issue (excepting the crease). Dont know about the legalities of it all though
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
dblacklock

Re: BUCS-specific question re pitch markings.

Postby dblacklock Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:54 am

The reality of the situation is that you need to manage the risks on the day. This is what we get paid the big bucks to do. Where do markings fall in this? Depends really. So for instance, the gate is marked out too small. 5 yards rather then 10 yards (common error). If we leave it too small then the risk of players crashing into one another is increased, however this is easily fixed by moving the cones to the regulation 10 yards. The restraining line is too close, not enough room behind the goals to the end line etc, short ptich, wing lines too close to centre, not much you can do there. But do these really impact on the safety, unlikely.

I have more concerns about physical problems, stone walls, concrete pads, etc. All clubs are responsible to do a risk assessment on their pitches to indentify any potential risks. They are the ones responsible to put things right

On the day you need to manage the dynamic risks, the ones that can be reduced or mitigated. For example rebar stood in the ground roping off cricket squares just outside the sideline, mole hills, dog crap, frozen rutted pitches, waterlogged or boggy pitches, spectators right up to the sideline or stood behind the goal, mothers with a baby in a pram stood on the end line (yes, it happened this past weekend), etc. At the end of the day though if you are not satisfied that the game can be played in a safe manner then this is your decision. Be sure though that you communicate your concerns to the appropriate league or your Referee Associaton Secretary and the reasons for your decisions. Hopefully they will then help the club to put things right.

The best suggestion is that you try to get the game in by taking taking all reasonably practicable precautions to mitigate the risk. I'm not tryng to be a H&S officer but rather just a common sense approach.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”