ProLaxShop

Exchange Sticks

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Mitchlax

Exchange Sticks

Postby Mitchlax Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:15 pm

During the play of the game, a player may not exchange his crosse for another except to replace a broken crosse, but players who are legally on the playing field may exchange crosses.

Anyone else read this and think the sentence contradicts itself?
Timperley LC
SUMLC
Samba Lax
Fallowfield Falcons
Chilli

Re: Exchange Sticks

Postby Chilli Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:26 am

Ok, I'll have a go
I think the confusion is over the use of 'exchange' twice for different circumstances and the fact that two separate rules are tied together into one sentence.

Maybe it would be clearer if it said;

1. A player on the field may replace his crosse only when it has been broken.
2. Players on the field may exchange their crosses during play between themselves.

Swop would be clearer for the UK but I don't think it is understood elsewhere so 'exchange' is probably safer.
buckers_the_great

Postby buckers_the_great Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:41 am

Basically you can't pass your stick off the pitch to someone on the side line and take another one, to do this you must come off the pitch and into the special substitution area. And yes to point 2 from Chilli.
Flt Lt Mark Buckley
RAF High Wycombe

RAF Lacrosse (Association Secretary) #17 2005-2020
SEMLA Referee
Welwyn Warriors #whatever's going spare 2011
Newcastle Knights #17 2008-2010, Toon Army #17 Forever
laxambition

Postby laxambition Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:18 am

The rules on laxforums have not been updated to match the latest

Rule 59.3 was amended in 2010 to read:

Players who are legally on the field of play may exchange crosses with each other.
If a player who is on the field of play wishes to exchange his crosse for another crosse which is not on the field of play, then the player must come off the field of play before doing so.
The stick-exchange is thus legal if it is made when the player is in his Bench Area or in the Special Substitution Area.
The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent Reading Wildcats Lacrosse Club, SEMLA or, indeed, anybody else......but that doesn't mean that it's not what they're all thinking!
Phil

Postby Phil Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:18 pm

laxambition wrote:The rules on laxforums have not been updated to match the latest

Rule 59.3 was amended in 2010 to read:

Players who are legally on the field of play may exchange crosses with each other.
If a player who is on the field of play wishes to exchange his crosse for another crosse which is not on the field of play, then the player must come off the field of play before doing so.
The stick-exchange is thus legal if it is made when the player is in his Bench Area or in the Special Substitution Area.

Does a player leaving the pitch for a time penalty could as a legal player? I'm just thinking the most common 'crosse exchange' would be a long pole swapping with a short pole following the long pole being sent off. I'd of thought to be legally on the field you'd have to be able to play the ball, or something similar, though(?) so wouldn't have thought that would count as a legal exchange?

My assumptions have probably made me wrong, mind you..

Phil
buckers_the_great

Postby buckers_the_great Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:39 pm

I see where you are coming from but the penalty has not yet started (until they hit the bench) so that exchange would be ok.
Flt Lt Mark Buckley
RAF High Wycombe

SEMLA Referee
Mitchlax

Postby Mitchlax Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:59 am

buckers_the_great wrote:I see where you are coming from but the penalty has not yet started (until they hit the bench) so that exchange would be ok.

In fact .... penalty starts once they are seated (if a chair is provided), or kneeling on one knee!
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
buckers_the_great

Postby buckers_the_great Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:41 am

UKLacrosse wrote:
buckers_the_great wrote:I see where you are coming from but the penalty has not yet started (until they hit the bench) so that exchange would be ok.

In fact .... penalty starts once they are seated (if a chair is provided), or kneeling on one knee!

Alright, i knew what i meant in my head. (or it will start when the whistle restarts play if they are already seated/on knee)
Flt Lt Mark Buckley
RAF High Wycombe

SEMLA Referee

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”