ProLaxShop

What would you call?

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Mort rotu

What would you call?

Postby Mort rotu Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:42 pm

What do you guys think of this body check from the virginia-hopkins game? the ref gave a 1 min personal foul, Quint in the commentary box (with the benefit of video and a clear view of the infraction) was calling for an expulsion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIP1GWAsrvs

my personal observations from the video are that:
its a bit high
it makes helmet to helmet contact and removes the attacker helmet in the process,
its a full on crosscheck - there is no effort to get those hands together
the attacker doesn't have his stick or the ball at the time of contact.

I think I'd have given more than a minute, probably 2 mins total for an illegal body check and unnecessary roughness, I'd probably have missed the cross-check from where the ref in the video was stood.

thoughts?
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
davewilliams

Re: What would you call?

Postby davewilliams Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:00 pm

The little hit-man was carrying a grievance from a missed interference call in the previous Virginia attack. No excuse, however, for that filth, and he should have been ejected.
Quint called it as such immediately, before seeing the replay. The flag-throwing official had the best view in the house, but after chatting with his two colleagues, a moderate penalty was applied.

Very lucky not to start another UNCvMaryland style rumpus.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:12 pm

davewilliams wrote:The little hit-man Bobby Hill was carrying a grievance from a missed interference call in the previous Virginia attack. No excuse, however, for that filth, and he should have been ejected.
Quint called it as such immediately, before seeing the replay. The flag-throwing official had the best view in the house, but after chatting with his two colleagues, a moderate penalty was applied.

Very lucky not to start another UNCvMaryland style rumpus.

Strong words Mr Williams! I agree its a completely unnecessary incident, and the prior grievance lends itself towards more malicious intent...

Quint presumably has the TV feed in the commentary box? if so he will have had a different view on it to the other officials probably 3 or 4 even without the replay, the official in the video is partly screened by the virginia longpole (no 28) from the angle we see it at, hence me suggesting I would miss the cross check in his shoes, having said that I'm not reffing an NCAA div 1 game...

***I'm playing devils advocate a bit to try and get more opinions and learn a bit***
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:28 pm

Turns out to have been another little chap in the Bobby Hill stamp.

If only Virginia had shot better, the game would have been well out of Hopkins' reach by that stage, and such a desperate gesture would not have been necessary.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:12 pm

3min expulsion for spearing and targeting the head.

Clear intent. The offensive players head was ducked down for quite some time, so not as though he ducked into it.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”