ProLaxShop

Goalie Equipment

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
User avatar
LacrosseRob
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:22 am
gender: Male

Goalie Equipment

Postby LacrosseRob Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm curious as to whether or not the rules regarding goalie equipment are deliberately ambiguous:

"The special equipment worn by the goalkeeper shall not exceed standard equipment so far as shin guards, throat guards and chest protectors are concerned."

This could be interpreted in so many different ways, do Ice hockey keeper shin guards count? Or is anything that extends above/below the shins illegal? What exceeds standard equipment? Could you in theory wear box lacrosse padding? I'm not a goalie who harangues people for wearing too much/too little padding, people can wear what they like in goal, it just seems odd to leave it so open.
Ex-Leicester Uni #99
Leicester Uni Men's Captain 2011/12
Maidstone #00
User avatar
dblacklock
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:36 am
gender: Male

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby dblacklock Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Rule 17.1 All players are required to wear protective gloves, suitable
boots or shoes, and a protective helmet equipped with a
facemask and a chinstrap, which must be properly fastened on
both sides.
In addition, the designated goalkeeper shall wear a throat
guard, a chest protector and a box/cup.
These shall be standard items of field lacrosse equipment.

The idea is that equipment must be standard field lacrose equipment. I've seen games in Canada where goalies in field lacrosse games (kids lacrosse) come out dressed in full equipment that they use in box lacrosse - and they hve allowed it.

The rules of the goalkeepers equipment are ambigious, but there is a standard bit of kit that is worn by field lacrosse players - the ones that you see on TV. I used to wear footbal pants (American football) as they provided thigh protection, but gave enough freedom to be able to run. They conformed to the shape of the body. We are not suggesting that players should not protect themselves, but the equipment should not make up for a lack of skill and provide an advantage.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
User avatar
Mort rotu
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:06 am
gender: Male

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby Mort rotu Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:13 pm

so football shin pads would be fine as well by that logic? whereas field hockey goals shin guards or cricket ones would not.
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
User avatar
dblacklock
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:36 am
gender: Male

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby dblacklock Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:06 pm

The rule book suggests field lacrosse equpment so again footbal shin pads are ambigious. However I would not prevent a player from wearing football shin pads as they conform to the shape of the body.
Don Blacklock

I'll referee the perfect game

only when you play the perfect game.
User avatar
Mr.Stanford
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3957
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:54 am
gender: Male
Location: South Wales
Contact:

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:12 pm

So your working on the logic that padding (excluding helmet, gloves and chest plate) shouldn't increase the surface area of the goalie to a point which creates an artificial advantage.

Which to me sounds ideal.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
User avatar
Mort rotu
Posts: 744
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:06 am
gender: Male

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby Mort rotu Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:25 pm

Mr.Stanford wrote:So your working on the logic that padding (excluding helmet, gloves and chest plate) shouldn't increase the surface area of the goalie to a point which creates an artificial advantage.

Which to me sounds ideal.


ditto, sounds sensible and allows the player to armour up if they so wish.
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
DanSawyer
Posts: 959
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby DanSawyer Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:50 pm

dblacklock wrote:The rule book suggests field lacrosse equpment so again footbal shin pads are ambigious. However I would not prevent a player from wearing football shin pads as they conform to the shape of the body.


The version of the rules linked to on here doesn't say field lacrosse, just lacrosse...

You sometimes see pads that are much bigger than football pads but not as big as the hockey ones. I think they're box pads? They follow the shape of the leg but do increase the width of the leg.

They're not exactly like this, having no foot guard and less bulky, but this is the closest I can find:

http://www.probosslacrosse.com/catalog/ ... hp?pID=575
User avatar
webby
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm
gender: Male
Location: Newcastle

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby webby Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:59 pm

DanSawyer wrote:
dblacklock wrote:The rule book suggests field lacrosse equpment so again footbal shin pads are ambigious. However I would not prevent a player from wearing football shin pads as they conform to the shape of the body.


The version of the rules linked to on here doesn't say field lacrosse, just lacrosse...

You sometimes see pads that are much bigger than football pads but not as big as the hockey ones. I think they're box pads? They follow the shape of the leg but do increase the width of the leg.

They're not exactly like this, having no foot guard and less bulky, but this is the closest I can find:

http://www.probosslacrosse.com/catalog/ ... hp?pID=575


I believe you are talking about ice hockey shin pads. Image
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
User avatar
rpowell
League Mod
League Mod
Posts: 410
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:58 pm
gender: Male

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby rpowell Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:18 pm

webby wrote:
DanSawyer wrote:
dblacklock wrote:The rule book suggests field lacrosse equpment so again footbal shin pads are ambigious. However I would not prevent a player from wearing football shin pads as they conform to the shape of the body.


The version of the rules linked to on here doesn't say field lacrosse, just lacrosse...

You sometimes see pads that are much bigger than football pads but not as big as the hockey ones. I think they're box pads? They follow the shape of the leg but do increase the width of the leg.

They're not exactly like this, having no foot guard and less bulky, but this is the closest I can find:

http://www.probosslacrosse.com/catalog/ ... hp?pID=575


I believe you are talking about ice hockey shin pads.


Personally, I wouldn't stop someone wearing those.
User avatar
webby
Posts: 1222
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:54 pm
gender: Male
Location: Newcastle

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby webby Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:50 pm

I've seen numerous women's goalies wear them.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
User avatar
UKLacrosse
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:44 pm
gender: Male

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:03 pm

What about the wearing of big baggy tracksuit bottoms which not unsurprisingly may help a little?
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
User avatar
stemcdlax23
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:38 pm
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby stemcdlax23 Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:59 pm

"Sweats make saves' - to quote a former International goalie

Also, what about John Marrs' rolls of carpet and newspaper??
'This is the whit...........'

Northern Monkey
User avatar
davewilliams
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:36 pm
gender: Male
Location: Chelmsford

Re: Goalie Equipment

Postby davewilliams Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:03 am

stemcdlax23 wrote:what about John Marrs' rolls of carpet and newspaper??


WHAT? I thought he was made that way, you know, Hulk Hogan-like.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register