ProLaxShop

Shooting through

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
Jim13

Shooting through

Postby Jim13 Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Not sure what the rules are around this (or even if there are any - I may be confused with another game entirely) - if someone could advise I'd appreciate it!
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
laxambition

Re: Shooting through

Postby laxambition Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:08 pm

Look in "Women's Rules" section?

no such thing in Men's lacrosse
The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent Reading Wildcats Lacrosse Club, SEMLA or, indeed, anybody else......but that doesn't mean that it's not what they're all thinking!
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:01 pm

True but deliberate or aggressively directing the ball at a player would be a serious personal foul.
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Look in "Women's Rules" section?

:lol:

As said, it was one from the dark recesses of my mind. Could've been a rule from school, or maybe even one that John Marr made up. :mrgreen:
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:48 pm

Moaning Git wrote:True but deliberate or aggressively directing the ball at a player would be a serious personal foul.

How would you prove it?
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 pm

J-Lo wrote:
Moaning Git wrote:True but deliberate or aggressively directing the ball at a player would be a serious personal foul.

How would you prove it?

Poirot teaches us to look for;
1. motive 2. opportunity 3. method 4. witnesses 5. and finally, evidence of the stricken body may be useful in detecting and proving the crime.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:16 pm

How would you prove it?

No need to, as a ref if I see an action that I believe to be reckless and dangerous I will call it. It is no court of law so no need to prove anything, though as stated above a groaning body on the pitch may serve as an explanation
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:17 pm

I have seen it happen twice and in both cases it was horribly obvious. Thankfully the 2nd time the player throwing the ball missed his intended target.

We play a sport where, though uncommon, people have died from being hit by shots so for someone to deliberately do it is disgusting and I would strongly support tough sanctions on anyone who has done this.
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:27 pm

.........it is down there with butt-ends and should be an expulsion.
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:21 pm

surely it's the defenders fault for getting in the way of the shot. If they don't like they have the option of moving away. If the ball hitting them hurts so much then maybe they shouldn't play the game.
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:28 pm

Paul_lboro/wildcats wrote:I have seen it happen twice and in both cases it was horribly obvious. Thankfully the 2nd time the player throwing the ball missed his intended target.

We play a sport where, though uncommon, people have died from being hit by shots so for someone to deliberately do it is disgusting and I would strongly support tough sanctions on anyone who has done this.

I think it's fine to take a shot towards goal and not care if it hits a defender, or even shoot with defenders in the way. Early on the game it can make a lesser defender think twice next time.

I think purposely shooting not to score, but to injure is something else entirely, and should be dealt with the same way fighting or any other violent offence.
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:56 pm

I fully support Moaning Git on this one. This is why we referee - to make the tough decisions. Agree that this can be an expulsion, but we also need to be sue that the intent was there. There are plenty of dfenders that will take one for the team, but that is not what we are trying to prevent.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
whopead

Postby whopead Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:27 pm

What would the call from the referee be in this situation? unnessecary roughness? unsportsmanlike? I wouldnt know what to call
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:30 am

Either works, but I think the best of the two wold be Unsportsmanlike Conduct - suggest 3 min and even an expulsion, but this only guidance and not perscriptive. The official on the day needs to take the whole play into context before administering the penalty.
Don Blacklock

I'll referee the perfect game

only when you play the perfect game.

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”