ProLaxShop

Concussions

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
UKLaxfan

Re: Concussions

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:48 pm

The Chara hit is the worst I've seen in Ice Hockey

It was late after the puck had gone and into a dangerous part of the rink

every hockey rink has an area where it goes from No Glass (benches) to Glass that it is dangerous to body check into.

This is the equivalent of the old rugby league grounds with a small run off area on the sideline, where you would find concrete posts and iron barriers for the crowd.

you didn't see players driven into them as all the players knew they were dangerous and had respect for fellow professionals.

you could cause serious injury or maiming by the check Chara made and it should have been a bench clearing brawl.

there is a point where it isn't hockey just common assault
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:53 pm

LAXLoofer wrote:In the old times that would be a bench clearance, without doubt and Chara would be lucky to get off the ice alive!!!
Nice to see that Pacioretty had his priorities straight about the spirit of the game though. This is the message all hockey and lacrosse players need to take note of:
>>"I am upset and disgusted that the league didn’t think enough of (the hit) to suspend him," Pacioretty told TSN. "I’m not mad for myself, I’m mad because if other players see a hit like that and think it’s okay, they won’t be suspended, then other players will get hurt like I got hurt<<

Wikipedia suggests Pacioretty will take out civil proceedings whether or not the judicial prosecution succeeds. A bench clearance may have gained instant revenge but might also have spoiled a legal process. Players of all sports have a duty to show due care and respect for their opponent, and if the officials/regulators fail, police and civil law will be only too happy to get involved.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
webby

Postby webby Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:07 pm

the pom wrote:But with chara could you prove he did it on purpose?
I have not played hockey but just to put a big hit in on a pro must be hard to time it to the micro second so there head hits the post??
Is it possible chara was just putting in a big hit.

In hockey you can guide the player you are checking using your body. Chara uses his shoulder and arm to direct the player's head into the glass. It's also late and unnecessary. It's a nasty nasty hit.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:11 pm

Back on topic, interesting article in the Guardian about NFL great Dave Duerson and the long term medical repurcussions of concussion.

Well worth a read...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/19/nfl-star-brain-injuries-destroyed

Let's hope the manufacturers of equipment in our game are keeping tabs on the valuable research carried out at The Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:40 pm

davidmcculloch81 wrote:Back on topic, interesting article in the Guardian about NFL great Dave Duerson and the long term medical repurcussions of concussion.

Well worth a read...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/jul/19/nfl-star-brain-injuries-destroyed

Let's hope the manufacturers of equipment in our game are keeping tabs on the valuable research carried out at The Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy.

was just about to post the same article. If you would rather read a paper copy its in todays g2 supplement, starting on page 4 (I think, might be page 6)

Whilst I'm fairly sure helmet technology has improved since 1993 when Dave Duerson stopped playing, I don't think it has improved to the point where this type of injury will no longer occur.

Take home message: Don't lead with your head kids.
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Wed May 02, 2012 10:18 pm

San Diego Charger, Miami Dolpins, and New England Patriot superstar line-backer Junior Seau sadly died today. R.I.P.

This is premature speculation, but news that he has instructed his brain be donated for urgent medical research suggests he had suffered for his sport.

His son is a highly-rated High School lacrosse player in California. Note he isn't permitted to play grid-iron.
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”