ProLaxShop

Stick Checks

Come here to see the mens lacrosse rules, and discuss things concerning rules. ie. wrong or right ref judgements?

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules

A full list of men's rules can be found here
dblacklock

Stick Checks

Postby dblacklock Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:52 pm

I refereed a game today and we had 3 stick checks. All 3 had goals disallowed for strings that hanged longer then 2". This rule was passed in Manchester this past summer and came into effect in England January 1st.

Remember this is a technical foul and not a 3 minute personal. Unless it is coupled with a personal foul (simultaneous foul) then it will be possession goal line extended to the team that was scored on. No free clear as it is not time served.

Players remember, this is a simple fix that a pair of scissors can easily take care of. Don't loose a goal for something so easily fixed.
Don Blacklock
I'll referee the perfect game
only when you play the perfect game.
UKLaxfan

Re: Stick Checks

Postby UKLaxfan Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:45 am

dblacklock wrote:I refereed a game today and we had 3 stick checks. All 3 had goals disallowed for strings that hanged longer then 2". This rule was passed in Manchester this past summer and came into effect in England January 1st.

Remember this is a technical foul and not a 3 minute personal. Unless it is coupled with a personal foul (simultaneous foul) then it will be possession goal line extended to the team that was scored on. No free clear as it is not time served.

Players remember, this is a simple fix that a pair of scissors can easily take care of. Don't loose a goal for something so easily fixed.

This was in the same game?

The players who got called for the 2nd & 3rd penalties should be embarrassed :oops:
laxambition

Postby laxambition Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:16 pm

Yup, threw two goals out in a flags quarter final last week, both by the same team. Game ended 7-7 in normal time

The team who called the stick checks won 8-7 after O.T
The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily represent Reading Wildcats Lacrosse Club, SEMLA or, indeed, anybody else......but that doesn't mean that it's not what they're all thinking!
FarmerDan

Postby FarmerDan Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:38 pm

dblacklock wrote:I refereed a game today and we had 3 stick checks. All 3 had goals disallowed for strings that hanged longer then 2". This rule was passed in Manchester this past summer and came into effect in England January 1st.

Or if you don't want to cut the strings you can just roll them up and put stick tape around them.
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:07 am

FarmerDan wrote:

Or if you don't want to cut the strings you can just roll them up and put stick tape around them.

or plait/knot them repeatedly....

having knotted my excess shooting strings repeatedly, they form a 'T' at the end with the lace caps sticking out. For arguments sake, does the T piece count towards the total length or would you measure to the end of the knotting and not the perpendicular piece?
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:38 pm

PM me a picture of what you have done.
Don Blacklock

jameskellam

Postby jameskellam Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:00 am

I think I know the answer to this but...

What do the rules say about the rest of a player's kit. I regularly see players with odd bits of string hanging off them, particularly around their glove cuff.
jivingjohn

Postby jivingjohn Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:12 am

I've got a bit that hangs loose just below my belt-line. Flaps around all over the place during a game.

Luckily it's less than 2 inches so I guess there's no infringement there :oops:
FarmerDan

Postby FarmerDan Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:51 pm

funnily enough I was wondering this myself the other day.

Nothing per se that prohibits the string hanging off the glove. But the rules do allow the refs to stop a player wearing anything considered dangerous to himself or other players.

I guess that now the hanging strings on the stick rule has been tidied up we should be looking at maybe extending that to the gloves. There is no need for players to have so much string hanging off the gloves.
young_trig

Postby young_trig Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

FarmerDan wrote:funnily enough I was wondering this myself the other day.

Nothing per se that prohibits the string hanging off the glove. But the rules do allow the refs to stop a player wearing anything considered dangerous to himself or other players.

I guess that now the hanging strings on the stick rule has been tidied up we should be looking at maybe extending that to the gloves. There is no need for players to have so much string hanging off the gloves.

Easier said than done.
Some teams use a large amount of club kit and each individual wears their kit to their own personal liking.
One player may choose to wear the cuff as loose as possible, and another may choose to pull it tight leaving some string dangling.
I suppose its also feasible that those who wear it tight must be able to loosen the string in order to remove the glove?
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:11 pm

The Shooting strings rule isn't for aesthetics, a string could go through the visa on a helmet and as the old phrase goes "take your eye out"

Loose strings on gloves aren't as dangerous as they are unlikely to be traveling as fast or as close to the helmet.

There is a reason for the rule
webby

Postby webby Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

UKLaxfan wrote:There is a reason for the rule

I reckon the same rule or a similar rule should apply to gloves/other equipment. While it is less likely that a string from someone's gloves may make contact with someone's eyes, the risk is still pretty high (e.g. a Paul Rabil-esque swim dodge, a check during a ground ball, a lift etc).

A lot of higher end gloves these days use velcro closures at the cuff. Not sure if it's for this reason, but just something I've noticed.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
dblacklock

Postby dblacklock Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:27 pm

I have to agree with UK laxfan. Likelihood is low of hanging strings on gloves being an issue.
Don Blacklock

buckers_the_great

Postby buckers_the_great Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:26 am

dblacklock wrote:I have to agree with UK laxfan. Likelihood is low of hanging strings on gloves being an issue.

And for those of you keen on management speak this should not be mixed up with low hanging fruit.
Flt Lt Mark Buckley
RAF High Wycombe

RAF Lacrosse (Association Secretary) #17 2005-2020
SEMLA Referee
Welwyn Warriors #whatever's going spare 2011
Newcastle Knights #17 2008-2010, Toon Army #17 Forever
lax_mad_webborn

Postby lax_mad_webborn Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Side tracked from this a little
i had an incident at one point this season where a stick check was called on my stick
everything was fine with it
but the player who called the stick check said you had to have the stick horrizontal with a ball in it, lowering it down to a vertical position and if the ball stays there after 90 degree's, its illegal.
This was the first i have ever heard of this and i don't believe this is real?
any help?
CWEBBORN
Hawks #16 07 - Present
Wales Development Squad 2010 #21
Wales U19 World Championships 2008 #26
Wales U19 Squad Finland 2012 #16
the pom

Postby the pom Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 pm

the exact methord for a stick check varries ref to ref in the uk.

Within one game i have seen a ref use a hard throwing motion whilst tipping a stick and then as people had had a go at him about this the next stick check on another player the stick was tipped over at such a slow rate it had nearly gone dark by the end of the game.

this then got the ref more abuse for not being consistant

These refs can never do anything right.

Joking aside it could do with a reveiw / memo being sent out on the exact method.( i would be intrested as i am not sure of the correct method)
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:51 pm

what do you mean the rule was passed 1st January? Haven't the rules always detailed what constitutes a legal stick and allowed procedures for the opposition to protest?

Is it just that the 2" strings have recently been introduced?
Hickey7

Postby Hickey7 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 pm

being a qualified ref- the amount of "inaccurate" stick checks carried out is frustrating. especially the slow over straight over the shoulder movement to test if the ball stays in the stick. too many refs just move the stick down and see if the ball roles out, and i know its hard to get the players attention straight away before he has time to drop his stick/pull the bottom string/bang the head against his boots as ive seen.

moaning aside (im aware its tough - my calls arnt always right)

- an email with directions to carry a stick check or a video posted on youtube to watch may be beneficial.
Canterbury Christ Church University#73 2008-2011
Southampton Sabres Captain #73 - 2011 - ??
South England

Team Chris Griffiths
'Lacrosse is a very fashionable game, all colours must match and be Pink'.
webby

Postby webby Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm

Can I just clarify that the stick check must be called by the captain? What if someone on the team, other than the captain, attempts to ask for a stick check? Is it ignore or is it a 30second technical for illegal procedure (like an illegal time out call)?
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
Ash

Postby Ash Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:00 pm

i'm about 95% sure thats an illegal procedue,but i'm sure someone more knowledgable than me will confirm.
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007

Return to “Mens Lacrosse Rules”