ProLaxShop

downturn in number of posts

Place for general chat, saying hello to the forums, and posting bugs and feature requests for us to take a look at

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Ash

downturn in number of posts

Postby Ash Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:00 pm

Is it just me or does it seem that the amount of new posting in here (and new users) has gone down substantially?

Admittedly I don't use the site as much as I used to, and I know posting had gone down a bit anyway, and there are only so many times the same issues can be discussed.

However, I am wondering if the "new" front page is a major stumbling block in attracting new membership as its relatively difficult to see how to access the forum pages and they are largely hidden behind an irregularly updated news page when the forum is really the unique selling point of the site. I find it hard to access the forum pages and I know where they are. May be it would be a potentially good idea to boost the presence of the main board on the front page to increase visitors!

Anyway just a suggestion as laxforums is obviously a great site for the lax community, its just a shame to see things like the results pages only attracting 4 or 5 posts on a Saturday afternoon, despite around record numbers of players & teams partaking in the game on Saturdays!
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
whopead

Re: downturn in number of posts

Postby whopead Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:37 pm

One reason for less results, particularly NEMLA is the efficiency and speedy update (usually) of the league republic site so there is no need to duplicate results on the forum.
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:53 am

Controversy. There isn’t any, or at least none that’s posted on here. All of the longest threads on this forum were to do with some controversial game (Hawks vs Bucks), or decision or throw away comment (Harvergoalie being my favourite).
Without these heated debates it seems really just somewhere people are posing results and sale items, all pretty dull in comparison.
Why has the controversy disappeared? 2 reasons in my opinion, 1: people a bit wiser about social media and looking like a tulip. 2: players worried about reflection on their own club (disrepute charges).
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:40 pm

My opinion is that Forums are now effectively pushed to one side by newer, shinier means of communication and social media outlets. Everything has a shelf life and maybe forums, in general, have had their day.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
admin
Admin
Admin

Postby admin Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:04 pm

I agree posts are down, so I've redone the front page and focused the forum posts at the front.

I'll send out a mass email to all the users today to re-encourage posting and integrate the league republic details into the site to make it one place for all.

LaxForums is still receiving loads of traffic and users are increasing. Social media is changing the world but forums are still leading the way, i've just rebuilt the site in a bad way for more content. I've listened and will refocus.

If you could all add a new topic to kick things off that would be a great help.
Hope you like the changes ive made.

Cheers

Jimmy
Uggy21

Postby Uggy21 Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:41 pm

Bring back GOLD and Gambling! :twisted:
Club/Team : Cardiff Harlequins #21/SLL #8/ Ex-Cardiff Uni #8/ Ex-UWIC #8/ Ex-Penarth#21/Lax Adicts #8
Tree13

Postby Tree13 Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:28 am

Mr.Stanford wrote:Controversy. There isn’t any, or at least none that’s posted on here. All of the longest threads on this forum were to do with some controversial game (Hawks vs Bucks), or decision or throw away comment (Harvergoalie being my favourite).
Without these heated debates it seems really just somewhere people are posing results and sale items, all pretty dull in comparison.
Why has the controversy disappeared? 2 reasons in my opinion, 1: people a bit wiser about social media and looking like a tulip. 2: players worried about reflection on their own club (disrepute charges).

Hit the nail on the head. Somewhere along the line, it seemed to become unacceptable to have heated debates.

If people aren't confident that they can express their opinion without being punished, they won't. I don't think this is the fault of the site admin and moderators, because I always felt that the "policing" of threads was done very well. Other external factors perhaps have dissuaded people from saying (writing) what they think; just imagine what each of you discusses with your teammates, or friends on other teams when you meet up and ask yourself why you don't feel comfortable discussing it on here?

For the record, I think the forum is a good thing, by far the best thing on this website.
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
LivTeamJones26

Postby LivTeamJones26 Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:16 pm

One problem I keep having is being unable to post from Iphone. Ever since IOS6 it shows me as logged in but i can't do anything. I don't know if this is a wider problem, but if it is it might provide an explanation for some loss of posting. I often find myself wanting to chip in whilst on the bus/ in the car on a long trip to an away game, rather than sat in front of a computer.
Liverpool Lacrosse #5
Liverpool Lacrosse Fixtures Sec 2012-13
Ash

Postby Ash Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:05 pm

admin wrote:I agree posts are down, so I've redone the front page and focused the forum posts at the front.

I'll send out a mass email to all the users today to re-encourage posting and integrate the league republic details into the site to make it one place for all.

LaxForums is still receiving loads of traffic and users are increasing. Social media is changing the world but forums are still leading the way, i've just rebuilt the site in a bad way for more content. I've listened and will refocus.

If you could all add a new topic to kick things off that would be a great help.
Hope you like the changes ive made.

Cheers

Jimmy

Great job! Looks a lot more accessible now! cheers!
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007

Return to “General Chat”