ProLaxShop

Shot Speeds

Place for general chat, saying hello to the forums, and posting bugs and feature requests for us to take a look at

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
FogoMiddie4

Shot Speeds

Postby FogoMiddie4 Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Whats everyones age and your clocked shot speed?
Mort rotu

Re: Shot Speeds

Postby Mort rotu Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm 14 and I shoot at 115mph!
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:50 pm

At the age of 27 I clocked 81mph. I was beaten by a 16-year-old (Jim Smith - Heaton Mersey), who clocked 82mph.

I am not ashamed of posting this on a public forum.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
UKLAX

Postby UKLAX Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:01 pm

It's not power it's placement
whopead

Postby whopead Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:29 pm

Never had my shot clocked but i would imagine that mine would be in the net ripping range of 40-50 mph! JUST A LITTLE BIT FASTER THAN JIMMY "admin" ACTON
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
davewilliams

Postby davewilliams Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:33 pm

UKLaxFan mentioned meeting a group of U19s testing their shot speeds recently. It would be fun to know if any of those guys are representing their nation in Turku at the moment. ..(and what their results were)
Buckhurst Hill Cricket & Lacrosse Club
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I recall some years ago when IL ran an 'ask the MLL Player a question'.
A young offense player asked Mark Millon how he could increase his shot speed. Mark proceeded to initially ignore the question, but explain what skills an offense player should work on ... being able to shoot the ball accurately wherever you wanted to on goal, and with BOTH hands. If you could do that, then you'd score a lot of goals. He then went on to explain how to improve strength/ power of shot. Watching a lot of youngsters shooting, and trying to shoot as hard as they can, they all concentrate on shooting side-arm and ignore the basic over the shoulder shot. Some years back, maybe 2006 (?) when Virginia won the NCAA title, they went out to score more goals than the opposition, believing that they could do that regardless of how many they conceded. In the semi-final they put on a shooting display unlike anything I've ever seen, with a host of goal-scorers, and virtually all with the standard over-arm shooting technique.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
admin
Admin
Admin

Postby admin Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:13 am

whopead wrote:Never had my shot clocked but i would imagine that mine would be in the net ripping range of 40-50 mph! JUST A LITTLE BIT FASTER THAN JIMMY "admin" ACTON

Ha Ha!

LaxForums did have a speed gun but someone borrowed it and never returned it!?! Don't ask who I can't remember!!!

I think Matthew by shot is a little over 50MPH now I've upgraded my weights in the gym and my technique and managed to 59MPH at the last attempt..... All about the placement!
young_trig

Postby young_trig Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 am

admin wrote:
whopead wrote:Never had my shot clocked but i would imagine that mine would be in the net ripping range of 40-50 mph! JUST A LITTLE BIT FASTER THAN JIMMY "admin" ACTON

Ha Ha!

LaxForums did have a speed gun but someone borrowed it and never returned it!?! Don't ask who I can't remember!!!

I think Matthew by shot is a little over 50MPH now I've upgraded my weights in the gym and my technique and managed to 59MPH at the last attempt..... All about the placement!

True!
Just a shame for you, Jimmy, that it is wide of the goal!
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
whopead

Postby whopead Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:10 pm

My bad Jimmy! 59 is impressive!
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
webby

Postby webby Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:24 pm

Jimmy knows it's more about lazer guided passes than shooting.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
admin
Admin
Admin

Postby admin Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:46 am

webby wrote:Jimmy knows it's more about lazer guided passes than shooting.

Never had so many assists in a season with that stick in that league in that team!

BackInTheDay
WirralDad

Postby WirralDad Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:58 pm

My 16 year old daughter has just come back from lacrosse camps in the US where they happened to have a shot speed contest at 2 of the camps

She was clocked at 61mph with the winner at 65 mph

They only measured shots that were accurate & went in
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:59 am

davewilliams wrote:UKLaxFan mentioned meeting a group of U19s testing their shot speeds recently. It would be fun to know if any of those guys are representing their nation in Turku at the moment. ..(and what their results were)
Dave,
94mph on multiple occasions by a couple of the U19s both played in Turku 2012

Reynolds & N Singleton tied with 95mph back in 2006 when England senior squad had a shootout for Cash

I won a Shootout with 86mph in 1990 in Queensland at Paradise Tournament vs some Aussie National players & some US College guys but alcohol was involved

have shot 91mph with modern stick and whippy pocket (not mine) but couldn't hit barn door with it

I believe a couple of Heaton Mersey senior players have shot 99mph at Bath 8s but I didn't witness it, Fozzy was one of them

Speed is over rated

Knowing your range and being a finisher not a shooter is preferable - Ade Bennett is best finisher I've seen since Phil Lynch, Daz Baythorpe, Steve Morley days

prior to that
Pat Moore
Mark Coups
Andy Hiller

prior to that
Paul "Sam" Short
Mike Roberts
Paul Smith

Return to “General Chat”