ProLaxShop

Ideas for Lacrosse Development

Place for general chat, saying hello to the forums, and posting bugs and feature requests for us to take a look at

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
UKLaxfan

Ideas for Lacrosse Development

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Lacrosse as we all know is a small minority niche sport in the UK

but rather than just accept the status quo, what ideas do you have that could increase participation or raise the profile of the game?

Artificial Pitches:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17064905
There is a growing momentum within the Football League community that articficial (3G / 4G) pitches should be once again allowed to be used for Professional League fixtures.

This could have a potential huge impact of the Supply of 3G Pitches in the Country and all on the availability for lacrosse on 3G.

plastic pitches have been banned in footy since 1988, but if this rule is changed then you will see a dramatic increase in the number of 3G Pitches as smaller clubs and sports centres install 3G, because this is what the Pros play on.

You can't play HOCKEY on 3G Pitches.
Lacrosse will have a competitive advantage over a number of sports in following Football's lead, as Rugby, Hockey aren't as user friendly for 3G as Lacrosse.
Lacrosse on 3G is actually better than on grass.

Advantages:
- Perfect Bounce
- Available in all weathers
- Available under Floodlights
- less damaging to ankles/knees if you wear the right footwear.
- Encourages a faster game for Dodging & Transition (No Mud)
- More spectator friendly (No Mud or dirt)

Lacrosse has suffered for a long time by being connected to Cricket Clubs, meaning most clubs don't have access to facilities in the summer.
if 3G pitches become more readily available, it increases the likelihood of being able to have either mid-week games or organise a summer league/tourneys.
plainnash

Re: Ideas for Lacrosse Development

Postby plainnash Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Disadvantages:
Finding those black bits of rubber everywhere for weeks.

In this case, the pros far outweigh the cons I think. Without meaning to stir the beast, maybe this would prompt the shift to summer in a few years, when less teams rely on universities for players and the pitch excuse isn't there anymore?
Dave Nash
University of Birmingham and Birmingham City - No. 88
Wales U19/U21 2011-12 - No. 2
dannyecko

Postby dannyecko Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 pm

It might just be Leeds Met being overly protective of their new 3G pitch but the AU have cancelled our training and games no end of time saying that the 3G is frozen and to play on it will damage it...
Leeds Met University #12 2010-12
Leeds Lacrosse Club #42 2010-12
Hull Lacrosse Club 2012-
Yorkshire Lacrosse BNC's 2012/2013
Lax Bandicoot #42
gazmanofhull

Postby gazmanofhull Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:34 pm

Actually rugby on 3G is happening. I believe it is either Burnage or Broughton Park play all there home games on a 3G pitch and Saracens are looking at 3G or 4G as part of there plans to convert Copthall Stadium in Barnet. So lacrosse may not have such fantastic access.
Chairman & LDO, Hull Lacrosse Club
YCLA Committee Member

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hull_lacrosse_club/
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:34 am

It's the future if we want to be serious about the competitive long term prospects of the sport in this country. It's as simple as that. We are completely hamstrung as a nation (particularly in the North West at the moment) when it comes to adverse weather.

Bringing in artificial turf will impact on club history as the likelihood of clubs acquiring 3G turf on their current land is slim for most. Some have the option to develop or borrow turfs very nearby but it becomes an extra cost. It will only work if all clubs have it so it is a distant goal. Much more realistic is the change to summer lacrosse but that has its own problems. In the meantime we will keep falling behind internationally as we have no provision to play the kind of high tempo that is required (increased squad sizes being the other pre-requisite).

Social lacrosse or improved competition at international level? Those are two opposing approaches and I can see a wedge being driven between the two. USA have NCAA / Pro and then club lax as a retirement home for social players. That could work.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Moaning Git

Postby Moaning Git Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Why does it have to be either or?

There are a lot more problems around moving to a Summer game than listed above, and although you can be blithe about the impact on clubs, that could actually be devastating and you may well immediately lose a core development resource.

Maybe it would be more sensible to look at the sport as a year round activity, after all in effect it already is, but the organised leagues and competitions currently in place are linked to the Winter. Why not create a national league played during the remainder of the year and youth development opportunities?
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:53 pm

Moaning Git wrote:Why does it have to be either or?

There are a lot more problems around moving to a Summer game than listed above, and although you can be blithe about the impact on clubs, that could actually be devastating and you may well immediately lose a core development resource.

Maybe it would be more sensible to look at the sport as a year round activity, after all in effect it already is, but the organised leagues and competitions currently in place are linked to the Winter. Why not create a national league played during the remainder of the year and youth development opportunities?

What he said...

It would be criminal to lose the tradition & history of the sport, where some clubs are over a hundred years old. That tradition is important and should be fought for to be maintained. We are the guardians of the game, like it or not and should approach radical changes with great caution.

However, the summer and/or 3G pitches would allow the game to be played it a much more appropriate setting and more importantly allow, family & friends to be able to support in comfort and actually have a nice time rather than freezing their bits off and getting covered in mud.

I attended the Women's Territorials this weekend at Heaton Mersey, I saw some fantastic lacrosse including East vs Midlands on Sunday morning at 9:30am which was one of the best games I've watched Men's or Women's in years! It finished 7-7 and was a worthy spectacle but there were very few people there to witness it.

The Saturday games were played in mud in torrential rain in freezing conditions and I counted SEVEN spectators for the early game Midlands vs North of which me & my mate were two, and four were parents of midlands players.

Summer League, Week night games, Summer Tourneys... whatever it becomes should be encouraged, but not at expense of traditional social club lacrosse.

Also, I think as a NEMLA Premiership we should look at showcasing our sport better, Stats, Match Reports, get in the local rags etc.

I personally would like to see ONE Premiership One game moved to a Sunday on 3G as a Match of the Week Showcase Event where the Top Game any weekend would be Showcased and allow Juniors, Parents, Friends & other players to watch the Top Players in the UK play at a High Level.

Currently, anybody that actually plays doesn't get an opportunity to watch the Top Games and so see how the game can and should be played.

If 3G isn't available in the short term then Astro at Timperley or Brooklands...

thoughts?
bonjourmc

Postby bonjourmc Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:55 pm

I like The Match of the Week idea, it gives the opportunity to get more spectators down and gives a focus each week for potential media attention through local papers, ect. Getting people interested and following the league could then lead to more spectators generally (although not overnight!).
Manchester University 2010/2013. #6 (Captain 2012/2013)
Manchester Metropolitan University 2013/2014 #?
Timperley
English Universities (6)
MANLAX (21)
FERAL

Postby FERAL Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 am

Possibly already mentioned i skim read most of the above. but cost is the biggest b***h in my eyes. EG have managed to convert to a 3g pitch and as far as I know they are loving it but I know it comes at a cost to them. something they seem to also be coping with. but for smaller clubs either just starting out or low membership it just isnt feesable. Maidstone enquired about using the local 3g pitch at our YMCA and in order to do so our membership would have to more than double.

Will admit though playing on 3g is far more enjoyable. dodging or back pedalling on a muddy boggy pitch is intresting at best.
Jim13

Postby Jim13 Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:58 pm

I personally would like to see ONE Premiership One game moved to a Sunday on 3G as a Match of the Week Showcase Event where the Top Game any weekend would be Showcased and allow Juniors, Parents, Friends & other players to watch the Top Players in the UK play at a High Level.

That's a great shout.
Laxforums is a production of the Children's Television Workshop
Daveyoc

Postby Daveyoc Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:35 pm

mmm...beer wrote:

That's a great shout.

Good Idea!
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:19 pm

sounds like time for a poll

also - CSKA VS Real Madrid in champs league on SKY SPORTS 2 now on 3G

excellent surface and skills on show at -10 Degrees
FERAL

Postby FERAL Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Banging idea. A bit like high profile lax.
Delmonte

Postby Delmonte Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:04 pm

Agree with having a 'highlighted' game on a sunday for people to go watch, it doesnt have to be every week maybe once a month to start with for 2012-2013 season.
Canterbury - 04-06
Welwyn Warriors - 06- to current date
highvolt

Postby highvolt Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Delmonte wrote:Agree with having a 'highlighted' game on a sunday for people to go watch, it doesnt have to be every week maybe once a month to start with for 2012-2013 season.

We can only hope :)

btw. hi guys, I'm new here :)

Return to “General Chat”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register