ProLaxShop

Shooting

Advice for all the Attackers? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
UKLaxfan

Shooting

Postby UKLaxfan Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:35 pm

Example of how it's done...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yJcPJ1bKfRo&NR=1

What are your favourite or best shooting drills?

"Dinosaur Arms"
"Hiding the Head of the stick"
"Seperating arms & hands from upper body"
"fake high, shoot low"
"turn the corner"
"one more step to greatness"

What's the best tip you've had that helped you improve your shooting?

The World U19s and Europeans are this summer and shooting percentage will be a deciding factor.

How much do you actually practise your shooting?

Power vs Accuracy

Who are the top scorers on your team?

Are they the guys who can shoot the hardest or are they the shiftiest players who can always find space and get open?
Lax_38

Postby Lax_38 Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:56 pm

I practise shooting about an hour a day (depends on the weather!) and I do try different ways of shooting as well as drills.

I've been watching Paul Rabil recently and he's an absolute beast at on the run shooting. He shoots with alligator arms but he has an absolute rocket of a shot. I've heard that is is good for deception on the goalie, but seems very difficult to get a lot of power.

I play U14's for Poynton and our top goal scorers (Me and our captain) got i think 160 between us. I'm not too sure. I got 76 this year and I was happy with that and everyone says im selfish! (Well you would assume that :lol: ).

I think one of the keys in shooting is where you actually shoot from. Your chances are obviously going to be higher if your right in on cage against the goalie, but if you are shooting restrainer or higher the shot would have to be pretty amazing (not to mention lucky!) to go in or even get on goal.

To be honest I really hate trick shots, for every 1 you score you'll miss 10 (making you look like a complete gammer when you could have easily put it in the goal!).
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:20 am

I have a pretty weak shot (80mph) so I tend to shoot on the run more. Deception is the key - get the front elbow high and use your bottom hand to direct the ball low or high. Try and keep the same action in shooting low or high - extend the arms, rotate the hips and bring the ball from behind your head. Not saying I'm the expert at this by any means but from watching top players and being coached this is definitely the way forward.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:49 am

davidmcculloch81 wrote:I have a pretty weak shot (80mph) so I tend to shoot on the run more. Deception is the key - get the front elbow high and use your bottom hand to direct the ball low or high. Try and keep the same action in shooting low or high - extend the arms, rotate the hips and bring the ball from behind your head. Not saying I'm the expert at this by any means but from watching top players and being coached this is definitely the way forward.
This is following Gary Gaits shooting philosophy, and he scored over 1,000 Goals so I guess he did something right.

Allows you to use Head & Body fakes to make the Goalie move, while you shoot the ball using just hands and arms to opposite direction.

The ability to be able to shoot to all four corners using the same initial set up is a difficult skill to learn but once mastered can be very successful. Any shot within 8 yards doesn't have to be powerful it just has to be at net.

Tom Marechek also uses a quarter turn (90 degrees) stick fake to get the goalie to move before finishing.

The Low-to-High Ripper into the Top Corner from 15 yards counts 1 point, as does to overhand shot High-to-Low from the crease off a cut that doesn't actually hit the net it just bounces over the goal line and stops rolling within 3 feet.

DECEPTION:
Deception is a huge part of finishing as opposed to just shooting!
How many drills do you do though to practice your deception?

The best practice is to get a Goalie and do lots of 1-on-1s, look one way while shooting the other, but you can also practice with a bucket of balls and a goal or a wire fence with a goal marked out. Try to hit all four corners while keeping stance & set up the same.
checkley00

Postby checkley00 Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:19 pm

This propmted me to try this in my room in fornt of the mirror (to get an idea of the fake/ disguise it gives). Which in turn means my lightbuld now sits all over my room in thousands of pieces, oops. :?
young_trig

Postby young_trig Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:44 pm

checkley00 wrote:

This propmted me to try this in my room in fornt of the mirror (to get an idea of the fake/ disguise it gives). Which in turn means my lightbuld now sits all over my room in thousands of pieces, oops. :?

Been there done that, destroyed a few light fittings!. Lacrosse is not meant for living rooms with low-hanging lights!
Leeds #1
Jedi Lax #1
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:23 pm

I posted this previously but worth reposting, he describes it a lot better than I can. I was lucky enough to watch & film a Shooting Demonstration Gary Gait & Tom Marechek gave at Goucher College. The mechanics are easy to understand but difficult to master. Once mastered though the effectiveness is impressive.

I've shown the Heaton Mersey Juniors the Demo as well as some of the East Grinstead boys, it the equivalent of having Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls not Wilmslow) share his tips on how to play Basketball. Gary & Tom are both in the Hall of Fame and great Ambassadors of the Sport.

Fundamentals of the game from a Gary Gait Coaching Clinic each video is approx 10mins.

Part 1:
Gary talks through and demonstrates key fundamentals on handling, catching & passing from different positions & angles, including catching the bad pass.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ouGPyw1WRw0

Part 2:
Offensive Skills, faking, deception and using "hip drive" to win groundballs
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ERdfeEiGVJ8&NR=1

Part 3:
Game situation drills along with details on Dodging, concepts of separating hips from upper body and dodging with shoulders for stick protection not arms. Breaks dodging down into three areas 1) Set Up 2) Deceptive Move 3) The dodge itself (running by your man)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyuqMchmQk&NR=1

Part 4:
Dodging continued specifics on footwork and reacting to defenders with combination Dodges. Then the essence of Shooting how to isolate the hands and arms from the body to be able to shoot in any corner from any stance or position.
The Legendary Push-Pull Technique! :D
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgxbexUw ... re=related

Part 5:
Wrap Up of session Mirror Drill, Homework
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oi0fCUFIBA&NR=1

Finally not from Coach Gait but a useful animation to describe 2-3-1 Motion Offence.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L9FT1G78zyQ
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:50 pm

For those of you who don't want to watch all of the Coaching Clinic the Shooting while separating hands & arms from your body position is from 5:40-9:37 mark of YouTube Video

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgxbexUw ... re=related

This is really the best tip you could have for any attackman.

As your whole body can be showing you are going to shoot bottom left corner when in fact you are shooting Top Right :D This really does make the Goalies job a lot harder as it goes against everything they've been taught.

I wish I had the information when I was playing :evil:

Return to “Attack Tips”