ProLaxShop

Question on cutting

Advice for all the Attackers? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
jacobbonde

Question on cutting

Postby jacobbonde Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:53 pm

I play with a fairly inexperienced team that could use a few pointers once in a while, so I decided to post some questions here.

This is my question for today:
When cutting, you should always "cut through" and never end your cut on the crease. But where is the correct place(s) to "cut through" to?

If for instance a middie is cutting across the crease directly towards an attacker holding the ball, but the ball is not passed, where should the cutter go next?

Other examples are welcome.
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:19 pm

Good question. I always used to wonder this.

A sensible answer would be to say replace an empty place in the formation that you are running. Nobody should be static in their positions (including the ball carrier) so there should always be space to fill. A simple example of this is when playing the 'chevrons' or 'triangles' formation when in 6 on 6. You set up with two triangles of three men and rotate around your own triangle. One man drives a corner and the adjacent man runs towards the third point in the triangle. The third man fills the empty space vacated by the driver.

It's hard to explain and I am sure that somebody can do it better than me or maybe even point you in the direction of a website to explain it. I think it's the best way to get you into good habits whilst cutting.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
UKLaxfan

Re: Question on cutting

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:19 pm

jacobbonde wrote:When cutting, you should always "cut through" and never end your cut on the crease. But where is the correct place(s) to "cut through" to?

Never say never.

It's OK to finish your cut on the crease as long as whoever was on the crease has moved off the crease and is now on the perimeter.

When playing on offence it's important to have balanced spacing between players so one defender can't mark two attackers.

Options for the scenario you described are
1) Stay on crease if creaseman has moved to perimeter.
2) If cutter used a pick on the cut, break back to the pick-man, running away from ball carrier and set a pick for him (usually creaseman) to cut.
3) Fill a space on the perimeter, either ball side where can be an outlet pass for ball carrier or weakside (non ball side) which will create space for either another cutter or for the ball carrier to dodge into.
4) Cut all the way through to the ball carrier and set a pick on his defender, looking for Pick & Roll. Only do this if you are being marked by a SSDM as if you cause the defenders to switch you have created a mismatch of an attacker being marked by a SSDM. If you are being marked by a LSM you want to tke him away from the play improving your teams chances of getting a man open for a scoring opoortunity.

The first job of any player on offence is to occupy your man, so too many cutters are better than too few. Like anything else prctice will improve the timing of cutters and communication helps let you team mates know what your doing.

"Pick" = Please set a pick for me to cut
"Stay" = Stay where you are I want to set a pick on your defender
"Go" = Plese cut now as I'm in position to pick on your defender.
jacobbonde

Postby jacobbonde Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:16 am

Thanks guys, for the helpful answers.

I guess we'll have to work more on moving the entire formation, so that no one will end up standing on top of each other. :)
Lax_38

Postby Lax_38 Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Some more fundamental tips. Rember, if you don't recieve a pass off your cut, look to set a pick and if there isn't a pick to set just 'J' out (your cut should look like a J). If your defender is facing you as you start your cut, split off your defender but keep your stick near to your body (Don't reach out for the ball) so you can pull in the ball to protect it from your nearby defender.

Keep your stick on the outside of your body so it is harder for the defender to get to your stick.

Hope this helps.
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:09 pm

for motion offence and how to find space off the ball see this article, should help with your coaching sessions

http://www.lacrosse.org/pdf/findspace2.pdf
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:14 pm

Mr.Stanford wrote:for motion offence and how to find space off the ball see this article, should help with your coaching sessions

http://www.lacrosse.org/pdf/findspace2.pdf

Two part article by Keven Sheehan
Part One - http://www.lacrosse.org/pdf/findspace1.pdf

Also when teaching Motion Offence you need to emphasize that even if players are clearing out to create space they need to keep an eye on the ball carrier as they may become the open man. This is particularly relevent to the man coming off the crease, he should back away from crease up top onto perimeter so he is still a threat to goal.

Animation of 2-3-1 Motion Offence
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=L9FT1G78zyQ&NR=1
marshy12

Postby marshy12 Fri May 09, 2008 1:24 pm

cutting is simple, its not about where you cut to more about when you cut! dont always cut for the sake of cutting and always cut to the ball.

6 on 6 work in triangles in two groups the attack and midfield, so the attack always have a guy on each post and a man behind and the middies have a guy on crease and 2 up top (1-3-2) then when someone cuts the triangle simply rotates according so the shape is held.

but just genereal cutting tips, see what the defender is like, how long he looks between man and ball (if at all) when he turns his head u cut.
if a defender is pressing out at all, as soon as you pass the ball cut back on the defender, watch Tom Gosnay classic for this!
when yuor defender slides simply 'follow the slide', so shadow your defender (staying one or two yards off), he will either think twice about sliding or slide right away from you, but as he is going to the ball, if u follow u are also going to the ball... easy pass easy goal.
use ur body when using a 'V' push ur defender off you then go the other way (slight cheating but doesnt get called all that often), so u cut into him then push him and burst away (i do this alllllllllllll the time defenders hate it)
other than those bits id say watch game tapes of teams that use cutting alot in their gameplans and you will see how they use picks and which ways they use cutting to set up an attack

LOL i jus looked at that article...

Return to “Attack Tips”