ProLaxShop

Shot placement - time and room shots

Advice for all the Attackers? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
DanSawyer

Shot placement - time and room shots

Postby DanSawyer Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:51 pm

I realise that there is no hard and fast rule, but Millon says don't shoot at feet height, Pietramala says do aim low and taking decent shots at a goalie for the first time this weekend (albeit one who usually plays outfield) I was having most success between knees and the ground.

Any thoughts? And if using bouncers, how high should it cross the goalline?
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:51 pm

depends how bouncy the ground is
Two Up!
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:58 pm

I can see how the point where you bounce it would vary according to how bouncy the ground is, but surely that's because you want your shots to go at a certain height?

Any what if you're not bouncing them? Just concerned for you knees?
Whitey

Postby Whitey Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:13 pm

Not sure I agree with it, but I've heard it said that 'if you need to bounce your shot to score, you're shooting from too far out.'
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:22 pm

But surely if you score, bouncing or not, then it is by definition not too far out?
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:37 pm

couldn't disagree more - bounce shots, in fact any shots that change plane - make a goalkeeper's life more difficult. Particularly on grass where the bounce may be unpredictable (bounce shots on astro should be fairly consistent in height), a bouncer can be a very effective weapon in your shooting arsenal.

You're shooting from too far out if the goalkeeper is calling 'clear' before he's even made the save!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
orange05
League Mod
League Mod

Postby orange05 Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:42 pm

And if the ground's wet and muddy, a well-placed sneaky bounce shot has always got a chance of squirming past or under the keeper (or so I hear, it's been a while since I scored - the last goal I remember was past Nick Anderton in 1998! :oops: )
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:52 pm

laxwill11 wrote:Particularly on grass where the bounce may be unpredictable

Aye, I shot a leg break the other day. That fooled 'im.
We are drifting from the point a little. Anybody got anything that could be loosely termed 'an answer to the question'?
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:00 pm

i'll have a go. in short, it depends on a lot of different factors - ground conditions/turf (as discussed), goalkeeper strengths and weaknesses - is he good high but poor getting down to low shots? or is he weaker off-stick side regardless of height. the usual advice for placement is to shoot the corners of the goal - high and low - off the goalkeepers hips, or the best advice ive ever heard - 'shoot where the goalkeeper ain't!'. have a good look at the keeper during warm-up - is he righty or lefty? does he have an obvious weakness? Another important thing to consider is your strengths and weaknesses - dont just take the same shot every time cos even a rubbish goalkeeper will eventually figure out you're ALWAYS going to shoot off-stick side high if you put 20 shots there. build up an armoury of shots - bounce shots, low-to-high, high-to-high, shooting on the run - you'll need them all at some point. any help? didnt think so...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
lax4life

Postby lax4life Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:34 pm

off-sdie hip is the place to shoot, hardest place for the goalie to get his stick. if the ground is dry try and shoot for the egde of the crease, thats where i gor for the bounce.
Removing The Foot From My Mouth One Toe At A Time!!
UKLaxfan

Re: Shot placement - time and room shots

Postby UKLaxfan Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:45 pm

DanSawyer wrote:I realise that there is no hard and fast rule, but Millon says don't shoot at feet height, Pietramala says do aim low and taking decent shots at a goalie for the first time this weekend (albeit one who usually plays outfield) I was having most success between knees and the ground.

Any thoughts? And if using bouncers, how high should it cross the goalline?

There are a number of points here.

The Mark Millon point is that shooting a bounce shot that dosn't bounce above the level of the golaies knees is an easier save than just shooting for net low. This is because the keeper will have more time to make the save. Once the keeper has got his stick down he doesn't have to move it again unless it bounces higher than knees.

Coach Pietramala makes the point that you can see more of the net from ground to 3' than from 3' to 6', as all that is blocking the goal are the legs of the keeper opposed to upper body and stick blocking the top half.

Bounce shots in general depend on the surface that you're playing on. Gary Gait hardly took any bounce shots throughtout his whole career as it added another variable to his shot, he preferred to beat a goalie with deception and throwing the ball at net.

In general, if the field is hard or playing on astroturf with a high bounce then a bounce shot that ends in the upper half of the goal can be effective. If on a soft ground or Fieldturf you are probably better off shooting for net.

Exceptions to this maybe if you have a screen, in which case shooting at the feet of the screener means you're less likely to hit him.

Finally time & room shots are like all shots and depend on the goalie, some goalies are good in the air and weak low or on bouncers, others who may have a wide stance are very good on low shots and vulnerable high.

As an attackman you must mix up you're shots so as not to be predictable, if you always shoot low off stickside then a good goalie will learn that and adjust.
Middiesrule44

Postby Middiesrule44 Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm

it depends on how bouncy the ground is, but i have found that bounce shots can really make a save difficult for the goalie i try to usually bounce it and get a top corner. this is vrey hard for a golie to stop and goes in almost everytime.
Mitchlax

Postby Mitchlax Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:35 pm

I was watching the MLL All-Star game and noticed how often for All-Star pro players they were missing the goal by shooting wide from fairly close in.

Rule No 1: Make sure ur shot is on target, work the goalkeeper.

Another important factor especially from close in is hitting it where the keeper isn't, I'd say from close in, as the keeper has very little time to react to the shot then the general rule is put it where the goalie ain't.

Rule No 2: Close in put it where the goalkeeper isn't.

However from distance its vital to work the keeper. change things up bouncers both high/low, mainly aim for the pipes. Rumor has it that American attackers, will often shoot their first shot high and over, getting the keeper thinging this is gone be an easy day, then they'll unleash hell.

Rule No 3: Vary it up.

Finally a top left from 15 yards may look amazing, but at the end of the day if the ball crosses the plane of the goal, its a goal. Not matter how it goes in as long as it goes in is the most important point.
Timperley LC
SUMLC
Samba Lax
Fallowfield Falcons
colecooldude

Postby colecooldude Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:51 am

if you take a bounce shot to the but end of the goalies stick it works well just try it
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:14 am

Mitchlax wrote:I was watching the MLL All-Star game and noticed how often for All-Star pro players they were missing the goal by shooting wide from fairly close in.
Rule No 1: Make sure ur shot is on target, work the goalkeeper.

Now I'd been wondering about that. Assuming that you have a man backing the shot up, isn't it better to aim right for the edge and miss, thereby retaining the ball, rather than erring on the side of caution and having the keeper save it, losing possession?
mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:35 pm

depends on the keeper - against good keepers it can be the best tactic as they'll save anything too close to them so have to have shots going in in corners and by posts

but if you do consider that the goal has to has to has to be backed up well by your teammates, otherwise it's a bigger waste than forcing the keeper into a save
ahhh ... the whit

Return to “Attack Tips”