ProLaxShop

Speed Training for Lacrosse

Advice for all the Midfield? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
UKLaxfan

Speed Training for Lacrosse

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:33 pm

There are a series of Speed Training DVDs put together by Duane Carlisle including a couple specific for Lacrosse.

Has anyone seen these and what did you think of them?

www.speed4lacrosse.com

“Being a coach who has worked with lacrosse athletes at the highest level—the MLL—parents, performance coaches, and elite athletes have paid me between $250-$500 per hour to conduct a private or small group session. I wanted to make the lacrosse DVD as affordable as possible so that I can help as many children as possible achieve their dreams!”
-Duane W. Carlisle

Team Based Speed Training for Lacrosse (2 Disc set) £59.95
james_512

Postby james_512 Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:51 pm

I havent seen the dvds, but I have been working on some training techniques, which I think have improved my speed, but I will have to wait till the season starts to see if it has made a difference..

1. find a really nasty long steep hill, sprint from one lamp post to the next at full pace. attempt to increase your time each week/ fortnight.

2. get onto a tennis court, shuttle runs from one line on the court to the next and back
then place 9 balls on the far tram line and sprint from one tram line to the next till you pick up all 9 balls. once again attempt to increase your speed over a number of weeks.

skipping will improve your footwork and your acceleration over a short distance and especially through dodges.

Mark out forty metres and sprint through while someone times you. After a month of the hill training and shuttle runs you will find your speed increasing. Mix it up with the odd distance run to improve your fitness.

If anyone has any other ideas or training methods that they do then it would be cool to know them
Middiesrule44

Speed Trainer

Postby Middiesrule44 Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:36 pm

I have Been working on strength and agility at a personal training facility amd we have been doing this drill were u run half speed to the first cone, then 3 quarters speed to the secound and the a full out sprint to the last cone. this not only helps with speed but also helps your exeleration a lot.
james_512

Postby james_512 Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:17 pm

that sounds good actually; I may give that a go.. it sounds a bit like fartlek, but with the added explosion that you use in lacrosse
tdogg770

Re: Speed Training for Lacrosse

Postby tdogg770 Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:33 am

no i havn't seen any of them but i want to
laxman1992

Postby laxman1992 Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:58 pm

yes i have seen thoses dvds they are quite good as well

but some things are a bit weirdd with the silly little hurdles trying to make you spend more money
DanSawyer

Postby DanSawyer Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:14 pm

Pyramid training is worth a go. Start with, say, 4x25m sprints, resting on the jog back. Then do 2x50m sprints, again resting on the jog back, then 1x100m. Then, if you haven't thrown up yet (vary distances and numbers according to fitness, I use these by way of example because the maths is easy...) you go back to 2x50m and 4x25m.

Also don't forget weights. Weight training will certainly give you the explosive strength.
coach jen 2

Speed and Agility Training

Postby coach jen 2 Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:58 pm

I find that interval training that incorporates weights works well to increase fast twitch muscle fiber bulk, and thus explosive strength... speed and agility. Most every gym has all 3 of these things. And a corded jump rope costs less than $10.

Be careful with weights if you are young- there is no proof that weight training damages kids if properly used, but kids are more prone to misuse because try a little too hard, plus, they are so seldom injured and resilient to injury.

I do this kind of training 2-3 times a week with my players who train with weights and it works miracles:

Here goes:
5 minute warm up- bike, jog... whatever.
Then do this 3 station circuit a few times- add more as you get used to it. At max, I do this circuit for 30 minutes... and it takes months to get there.

1. jump rope 2 minutes- 120-140rpms- wood floor, corded vinyl speed rope.
2. Decline leg press- starting weight- 20 reps, lower on 5 count, explode to straight but not locked.
3. Sprint a hill or on a treadmill at highest angle for 1 minute

walk for a rest to catch your breath.... but no longer than than

Start the circuit again. Each time you go through that circuit, add 5 or 10 lbs. to each side of the decline leg press. Keep the reps and times the same.

Stretch!!!
Coach Jen

Your Stickwork Will Save you!
james_512

Postby james_512 Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:31 am

thanks for that. you have given my day off a purpose. I like the sound of this one.

How many sets do you usually manage in half an hour?

I wonder if anyone will notice me walking around in a circle around my gym to each different machine.
coach jen 2

Postby coach jen 2 Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:18 am

I figure a minute for the rope, 2-3 for the leg press, and a minute for the sprint...
If I move, move, move... I could get through 6 or 7 times in 30 minutes- but then my legs are shot for a couple of days...

Oh- and who really cares what the peeps at your gym think?
The people at my gym know I'm nuts... oh well...
Coach Jen

james_512

Postby james_512 Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:37 pm

i dont think that anyone would have noticed me walking around the gym in circles considering after the fourth circuit. on the treadmill incline i swear I thought I was going to fall off.. It must have looked quite funny, because embarassingly I heard two girls laughing behind me.

It was harder than I thought it would be; thanks for the tip
coach jen 2

Oxygen

Postby coach jen 2 Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:16 pm

So glad to help...
yeah, that one will whip you into shape. Don't forget to stop and breath!!!
Coach Jen

james_512

Postby james_512 Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:02 pm

thanks I will try and remember to take a moment to rest in between

I will also atttempt to do it when there are not attractive women on the cross trainer behind me
Alpott

Re: Speed Trainer

Postby Alpott Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Middiesrule44 wrote:I have Been working on strength and agility at a personal training facility amd we have been doing this drill were u run half speed to the first cone, then 3 quarters speed to the secound and the a full out sprint to the last cone. this not only helps with speed but also helps your exeleration a lot.

Yeah we do that too in our training sessions, we call it suicides or something, is really good for a warm up, knocks it out of you lol :P
Fr
Frog

Postby Frog Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:17 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that sounds good actually; I may give that a go.. it sounds a bit like fartlek, but with the added explosion that you use in lacrosse

someone has done GCSE P.E loool
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Or, you could always

Go to Dixon's

Grab a TV

Run.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
james_512

Postby james_512 Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:04 pm

kjk20 wrote:Or, you could always

Go to Dixon's

Grab a TV

Run.

I am an essex boy. i do my sprint training for the purpose of running off with a tv
Becca B

Postby Becca B Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:55 pm

does anyone use SAQ with ladders and mini hurdley thing etc etc.
Did you find it made a difference? we did it at school and thought it was crap but i dunno, at uni people might pay a tad more attention!
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:44 am

SAQ is very good for improving your footwork (ability to coordinate your feet). So it will improve things like your shimmy, side step and drop step. Depending on what intensity you approach the training with and what style of SAQ you do it can also build explosive power (strength*speed) so can speed up those 1st few steps which are all important when dodging.

Personaly i have tried doing it and enjoy it but can never get into any long term routine so effects have been minimal and very short lived.

But it must have a signigicant effect as most sports use it at a top level.

so just found a bit on a web site that puts what i said a bit more... um well better

Speed, agility and quickness (SAQ) training has become a popular way to train athletes. Any athlete from school children on a soccer field to professionals can benefit from SAQ training. This method has been around for several years, but is not used by all athletes primarily due to a lack of education regarding the drills. SAQ training may be used to increase speed/strength, or the ability to exert maximal force during high-speed movements. It manipulates and capitalizes on the stretch-shortening cycle while bridging the gap between traditional resistance training and functional specific movements. Some benefits of SAQ training include increases in muscular power in linear, lateral, horizontal, and multi-planar movements; brain signal efficiency; kinesthetic or body spatial awareness; motor skills; and reaction force and time.

http://www.power-systems.com/articles/S ... ckness.htm

If you want more info most the pages on this search are relevant

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= ... ning&meta=
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:15 am

We've done some of this at our club with a professional strength and conditioning coach and I can notice the benefits. It changes slightly each week for variation but the essence is the same - reaction work, short sharp dashes, mini-hurdles, sometimes rope ladders on the floor.

It should be done in conjunction with strengthening the core - ab-work, plank, medicine balls etc...

This really improves off-the-mark speed over the first five yards.
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team

Return to “Midfield Tips”