ProLaxShop

Fitness

Advice for all the Midfield? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
pt0608

Fitness

Postby pt0608 Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:01 pm

To be a middie, you have to be really fit. I used to play a lot of rugby at school and did a lot of athletics before I saw the light.

When I think back to my level of fitness then, I realise one needs to be equally, if not more, fit for lacrosse. Having just left uni, I am not in tip top shape. I have started my fitness campaign, but wandered if anyone had tips, ideas, thoughts on the best sprinting excercises, fitness sessions.

Anyone any thoughts on weights also?
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:15 pm

you know what people are going to say.. Google is your friend.

In lax you need good core fitness, muscular power, recovery etc..

You play the game in short bursts so sprint training is always a good one, especially up hill.

I'm sure other will be along shortly to provide input.
Steely Dan

Postby Steely Dan Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:48 pm

I'm sure the sports and excersise students can add more infor here but check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek

for an idea of the basics, then try and piece together a training regime suitable for yourself. Ask your gym for a hand if necessary
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:39 pm

Yeh Fartlek is pretty useful, as is all kinds of interval training. I used to do a rowing programme for my 7s rugby season where we would sprint 20 seconds with 10 seconds rest. Do that 8 times at full tilt and you'll be shot through. Hill sprints are good training too.
ewan

army coach video

Postby ewan Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:59 pm

THe fitness coach for army (in th US) has various videos on the web - just little 2 min ones with various suggestions. They might be of help, lax.com has some and there is a website somewhere, but forgot the name. THink it my be his own
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:07 pm

if you're out doing running (which you should) you shouldnt be putting in much more than 3 miles a time - otherwise you get into fat-burning zone and training for endurance - not the most important thing when playing mid. Much better to do a couple of 3 milers a week and concentrate more on fartleking as mentioned above - your powers of recovery to sprint at full pace are far more important than how long you can run for at a medium pace. uphill sprints (say ~30m up as steep a hill as you can find) are an excellent (if thoroughly unenjoyable) way to see quick results on a saturday, but dont do them too near to gameday- youll need a couple of days for your legs to recover.
usual gym-work also helps
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:07 pm

jeez, just realised how old this thread is. sorry to bump, not very relevant now i'd guess
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
Paul_lboro/wildcats
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Paul_lboro/wildcats Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Fitness is always relevant especially with the off season coming. Many of us will make dedicated fitness programmes that we plan to pursue to be in tip top shape for the next season then break them horribly by drinking too much and not doing much else :D
Reading Wildcats Captain #8
laxboy93

Postby laxboy93 Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:13 pm

You should go out and buy some cheap dumbells from some sport shop and do basic work outs with your arms with some of your team mates. They should know the important muscles. Work your shoulders and core mostly. But check out Amazon.com for this lacrosse book workout thing that my father (who was a weight lift instructer in college) and I use in the basement. (We have a POWERHOUSE bench thing---lucky me.)
Always run, don't do anything like a runner though! None of that stupid pacing or anything because you DON'T pace yourself when your midi-you get subbed. But to build stamina, burn all of your energy first, meaning, run as fast as you can on a straight away or something, and then run through some hilly terrain. So, when your are in the 3rd or 4th quarter, and you are tired, you will be able to use that "Extraness!"

Do things like a lax player,
Hey from USA
coach jen 2

I love interval training with weights....

Postby coach jen 2 Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:15 pm

I find that interval training that incorporates weights works well to increase fast twitch muscle fiber bulk, and thus explosive strength... speed and agility. Most every gym has all 3 of these things. And a corded jump rope costs less than $10.

Be careful with weights if you are young- there is no proof that weight training damages kids if properly used, but kids are more prone to misuse because try a little too hard, plus, they are so seldom injured and resilient to injury.

I do this kind of training 2 times a week with my players who train with weights and it works miracles:

Here goes:
5 minute warm up- bike, jog... whatever.
Then do this 3 station circuit a few times- add more as you get used to it. At max, I do this circuit for 30 minutes... and it takes months to get there.

1. jump rope 2 minutes- 120-140rpms- wood floor, corded vinyl speed rope.
2. Decline leg press- starting weight- 20 reps, lower on 5 count, explode to straight but not locked.
3. Sprint a hill or on a treadmill at highest angle for 1 minute

walk for a rest to catch your breath.... but no longer than than

Start the circuit again. Each time you go through that circuit, add 5 or 10 lbs. to each side of the decline leg press. Keep the reps and times the same.

If you have not had enough, add this little circuit until you have had enough:
10 pull ups
2 minutes fast run
20 wide grip push ups (clap in the middle if you want)
1 minute sprint up hill on treadmill
catch your breath
50 bicycle abs click here to see pic of that: http://www.girlslax.org/circuit_training_boys.html

move right on... keep going...

Stretch!!!
Last edited by coach jen 2 on Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coach Jen

Your Stickwork Will Save you!
Raptor_attack

Postby Raptor_attack Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:17 am

I find a combination of long distance runs (10-15 km) wieghts (4 days a week specifically designed Lacrosse program) and sprints works for me.

Thw weights adds the extra strength and explosive power, sprints increase speed while the long distance runs give me the endurance to get back to defend quickly in the last quarter.
Live and Let (crease)Dive
ex-Southampton City Sabres #8
Reading Wildcats #xxx
'Instruo pro gloria'
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:20 pm

Raptor_attack wrote:I find a combination of long distance runs (10-15 km) wieghts (4 days a week specifically designed Lacrosse program) and sprints works for me.

Thw weights adds the extra strength and explosive power, sprints increase speed while the long distance runs give me the endurance to get back to defend quickly in the last quarter.

you talk about this like the benifits are seen in your game! :P
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
mandy
Admin
Admin

Postby mandy Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:29 pm

Mr.Stanford wrote:
Raptor_attack wrote:I find a combination of long distance runs (10-15 km) wieghts (4 days a week specifically designed Lacrosse program) and sprints works for me.

you talk about this like the benifits are seen in your game! :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it's only funny cos it's true

:P
ahhh ... the whit
coach jen 2

Postby coach jen 2 Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Are we talkin' smack here? You guys are funny...
Coach Jen

Your Stickwork Will Save you!
Raptor_attack

Postby Raptor_attack Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:38 pm

firstly you two are a pair of ****s :D , secondly, I has made an improvement to my game. Frequently I was first middie back even if I was the highest up the pitch. Just because I got back doesn't mean I did anything useful once I was back mind...
Last edited by Raptor_attack on Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live and Let (crease)Dive
ex-Southampton City Sabres #8
Reading Wildcats #xxx
'Instruo pro gloria'
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:58 am

Mr Attack can also take the credit for using his personal fitness regime to motivate, ney, Inspire the rest of us. Although his pasty, scrawny frame is hardly a good advertisment for the "weight training for lacrosse book"
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
Mac

Postby Mac Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:41 am

when your entire team can do suicides over a 30 metre distance with 4 stopping lines at reasonable pace, you can move onto specifics XD
leeds Uni mens team : Defence
Team secretary & tour organiser
duffyboi

Postby duffyboi Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:51 pm

doing a bleep test every 2weeks while recording your score can help you see if your fitness is increasing, but dont just stop their general fitness work during drills i.e. u miss a shot or pass 10 press ups/ 2 laps anything that keeps ur heart pumping
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:35 pm

How do you set up a bleep test?
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
duffyboi

Postby duffyboi Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:37 pm

u dont no what a bleep test is?? u must of done this at school/ college??? set a distance i.e. sports hall size and u have a tape/ mp 3 playing with a voice saying Stage 1 level 1,2,3 and on each bleep u need to have hit the wall, line or cone

Return to “Midfield Tips”