ProLaxShop

Dodging

Advice for all the Midfield? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
jake_laxin

Dodging

Postby jake_laxin Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:40 pm

Every midi or attacker has a preffered dodge or a special one they try occasionally. If you have a problem understanding a dodge or want to give advice on dodges or if you even have a new dodge that you want to tell the world about here is the place to do it
stockport lacrosse till i die
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:21 pm

i guess middies just use the same dodges as attack, just less often.

In heated games i tend to just run around (or away) from people, and change hads a lot, more than i dodge.

going to the park tonight after work to practice some dodging.
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:18 pm

J-Lo wrote:i guess middies just use the same dodges as attack

Not true! most middies, unless playing in an invert, will use split dodges and face dodges from up top, often utilising the fact that they may be on transition and therefore are already running at speed before executing the dodge. Attack dodges from X can be aN inside roll, rocker, question mark, split, roll, face, bull - several of which involve turning your back to goal which is not a great idea when dodging from up top a la the middie. attackmen generally have a lot more in their armoury than middies simply cos they need more moves to get separation from those nasty 6' poles (compared to a SSD)
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:37 pm

Not true! most middies, unless playing in an invert, will use split dodges and face dodges from up top, often utilising the fact that they may be on transition and therefore are already running at speed before executing the dodge. Attack dodges from X can be aN inside roll, rocker, question mark, split, roll, face, bull - several of which involve turning your back to goal which is not a great idea when dodging from up top a la the middie. attackmen generally have a lot more in their armoury than middies simply cos they need more moves to get separation from those nasty 6' poles (compared to a SSD)[/quote]

fair enough...this is my 1st year in mid..my only other two years playing mens lax were in attack
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Postby laxwill11 Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:43 pm

no worries, thats what this section is for! if youve got a good split dodge, you can use it pretty much anywhere on the pitch, regardless of positin
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
Delmonte

Postby Delmonte Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:02 am

practice those hand changes, the smoother and faster the better.

one problem i have is the dam loose string on the gloves that i end up grabbing to therefore stopping me from completly changing hands and moving the stick away.

why o why dont they create some gloves with velcrobe.
Canterbury - 04-06
Welwyn Warriors - 06- to current date
J-Lo

Postby J-Lo Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:18 am

if the gloves fit you well you can probably get away with taking the stringing out. i can get away just about without string on my 13" gloves (i don't likeit though) but i really need some 12"
cheekylaxstuff

Postby cheekylaxstuff Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:10 am

Keep an eye out on if the guy is marking you is leftie or right.If your dodge is clean enough to get 1/2 a yard then going to a left handers right will ensure less checking action, more of bumping , and the same just the opposite way.
If you have an opponent beat time and time , then try all your dodges on him(if game situation allows of course)
Even in practice , try the moves you are finding difficult just as much as the ones your are not* .The more moves you can put in your game the better.A player with 1 dodge that his opponent is countering easily is a dead duck.

* The more you practice something you dont like doing , then the easier it will be become
Jewellery,Wooden Shafts,Lacrosse Antiques,Lax Art * Random kit
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:55 pm

I have found that the d**k about dodge works really well on less experienced/less patient Defensemen.

It goes against many dodging conventions and something like: fart about changing hands moving your stick into and out of range of your defencemans impatient checking then when they are suitably fooled into thinking they'll take stick and ball in one almighty hack, burn them with the hand of your choice.
Flanders

Postby Flanders Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:19 pm

If you keep grabbing the string but don't want to take it off, try wrapping the loose string around the bit between the cuff and the main bit of the glove.
tade

Postby tade Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:52 pm

Attack dodges from X can be aN inside roll, rocker, question mark, split, roll, face, bull

As a new in sport, it would be nice to know how to do these different dodges. Roll and face dodge are pretty much the dodges I can do. Can anyone help me? :cry:
JP - EGLC

Postby JP - EGLC Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:00 pm

I have found that the **** about dodge works really well on less experienced/less patient Defensemen.

Stu, it's more like a dance than a dodge.
EGLC #25
G&J #55
cjlax

Postby cjlax Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:11 am

The best thing for a dodge, is to make the D man believe that you're going to do one thing, and then you do another.

A prime example. Hold the stick that little too far out in your left hand. The D man can't but help himself to place his stick over yours. It's just too tempting for a take away check.

Then on the last minute switch the hands catch the ball and roll dodge the D on the other side. Before they even know what has happened, your gone....

.....Tip....Practice on the new Uni guys.....They're even more susceptable!!!
fifteen peter twenty

Postby fifteen peter twenty Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:15 pm

Quote:
I have found that the **** about dodge works really well on less experienced/less patient Defensemen.

Is that bad? shamoan!
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:42 pm

JP - EGLC wrote:

It’s so he can not only play lax, but also impress potential mates with a dazzling display of mystery and intrigue
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
blues24ianb

Postby blues24ianb Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Tade - look at the NCAA Semi Final and Final games to see the variety of dodges employed. It also shows you them taking them from different positions on the pitch and in fact because the camera work is not as close up as MLL games you get to see more of the tactical positioning. Will at Penarth has these games on DVD if you need to purchase them.

Dodging is quite a personal thing and most players have stock dodges they employ. Like everything in sport it's what you add to those stock moves that make you one step up on your opponent.

Talking of which every time you dodge you have a head start on your opponent because he has no idea of what you are going to do - you should always know before you execute - even if you are forced to change it in the phase of play. You can also dictate the momentum of the dodge.

Good luck and as everyone says keep practising.
Ian Ballantine
SEMLA - Team Manager
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:00 pm

This thread on lacrosse forums has pretty much everything you need to know about dodges...

http://www.lacrosseforums.com/showthread.php?t=30990
Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth
Ian#4
League Mod
League Mod

Postby Ian#4 Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:05 pm

Leeds :: SLL :: South :: Cardiff Harlequins :: Cardiff Uni :: Penarth

Return to “Midfield Tips”