ProLaxShop

The Left Hand.

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Lewis

The Left Hand.

Postby Lewis Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many defenders here sometimes switch to lefty, for example, when forcing an opponent down an alley? I try to practice with it sometimes with friends etc, never used it in a game though...i tend just to stick righty. (Vice versa for those already lefty)

Lewis
Lewis Arnold
Walcountian Blues #99
Portsmouth Uni. #70
D-Unit
Livlax

Postby Livlax Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:42 am

always good to be able to dodge using your left, and it's never bad to be able to pass a ball on your left,

as for defending on my left i dont think i ever have, tried it in training and just felt weird when bodying
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 am

I'll switch when running the ball up.

Playing a man on the crease, I'll also switch so I'm not holding the stick cross-body.

I've tried going left when pushing someone down the field, it feels weird, so I tend to just stay right.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
UKLaxfan

Re: The Left Hand.

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Lewis wrote:Just out of curiosity, how many defenders here sometimes switch to lefty, for example, when forcing an opponent down an alley? I try to practice with it sometimes with friends etc, never used it in a game though...i tend just to stick righty. (Vice versa for those already lefty)

I've been an advocat of this for many years but I'm very much in the minority :x

SSDMs should be able to defend left & right handed and be able to take away the strong side or force the dodger down the alley with their stick facing up field.

Poles seem to prefer to stay with their dominant hand, even though their body position and footwork is compromised by playing cross handed.

Chris Watson (Johns Hopkins) defended with either hand to great success but likewise most top defenders play solely with their strong hand.

Like anything else, practice the skill in training until you are comfortable or practice cross handed until you are comfortable with that.

For all the talk of being ambidextrous in lacrosse, very few players at NCAA DI or International level are 100% on both hands.

Canada & Iroquois Nationals are 100% one handed but that doesn't restrict their play.
Wezalmighty

Postby Wezalmighty Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:31 am

Should you not be trying to keep your stick pointing upfield when defending?
Wez Morris
#40 Portsmouth Uni
Mr.Stanford

Re:

Postby Mr.Stanford Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:09 am

Wezalmighty wrote:Should you not be trying to keep your stick pointing upfield when defending?

As a short stick yes.

As for a long pole, from what I’ve read there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer.

From what I’ve read around the debate most NCAA DI players are coached to stay on their dominant hand.
Some DIII players are coached to use both hands.

Now is this due to the quality and understanding of the coaches? Or the speed of the game and quality of the attackers?

If it’s down to speed and quality then you could argue that it would be beneficial to defend as a long pole in the UK with both hands as the attackers are less skilled and slower than their US counterparts.
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
whopead

Postby whopead Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:19 am

I am Lefty but have been known to play right handed occasionally. But i have to think about it so usually revert back to left pretty soon.

It does make sense to play both ways. Being lefty anyway usually line me up with predominantly right handed attackers anyway!
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
jon (blues)

Postby jon (blues) Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:06 pm

yea im with whopead...im lefty and mostly use my left as i am stick to stick with a righty attacker

ive been told always be stick to stick

if hes left . im right
if hes right. im left

but thats just me .. some other players are told to have their stick up field
mishy

Postby mishy Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 am

one of our guys is very good with both hands - when you watch him you realise how useful it is when going for a ground ball with an attacker and not losing any position at the same time
Topping

Postby Topping Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:17 pm

i often change hands to make it easier to cover my man, but usually switch back to my strong (left) hand if I can and to pick up/catch/ pass the ball. Switching hands usually lets me cover a man whilst he's moving without being dragged out of position as much.
#9 Penarth ('08-'10)
Bath Uni 1st D( '10- 14)
#64 Bath (1s : '11-'12 ) (2's Captain '13- )
Konstanz Lacrosse ('12-'13)
hooters86

Postby hooters86 Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:20 pm

When on the crease and in a man down situation, it is best to chage hands for either the check/knock down/slide e.t.c

Also, when clearing/throwing/catching it is a good idea to change hands to prevent getting checked.

However, when covering someone one-on-one, i dont think there is any need to change hands when being dodged on. As long as you know how to defend players by pushing them down thw channels and what not, you can stay in the same hand. Look at all the college and Pro guys, most of them defend with there strong hand and their quality.
GrahR

Postby GrahR Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:34 am

I play - LONG POLE D (DIII???)

I often change hand when a middie is running down from up top (or in man down boxes),

looking the part is half the job for forcing attackers down the channels. The LDO's from Blues made us practice both hand checking for the bottom of peoples sticks, you need to be able to apply pressure on both sides of the pitch.

Somewhere or someone told me that you should always have you stick up facing upfield and head towards center (so if you play on left field - right handed, and if you play on the right - left handed.) This helps to force up the channels.

But I'm sure there are better defenders with different opinions
GrahR
Northampton University Mens Captain

"Watch the weather baby, cos it's gonna change"

Return to “Defence Tips”