ProLaxShop

Shoulder pads

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Livlax

Postby Livlax Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:30 am

theres nothing big or clever about a broken elbow

i had my arm pads stolen last season, so played a couple of games without, ok i handle the ball quite alot, but even going down for a ground ball or taking a clear from a keeper, all you need is one hard check to your elbow and you can kiss the rest of the season or your days of playing lax good bye, you can get some small and good defence arm guards (STX shoguns etc) for under 20 quid!

as for shoulder pads, i dont normally wear them, but after watching gatorade v.s uklacrosse at london, (a game the ended with two broken collar bones) i now wear those foam liners
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:35 am

well said,
I played half of one game on tour without elbows cos i thought it would be friendly and cooler. one crack on the elbow was enough, hurt like hell.
rhino skin and supercrosse slip ons for me
Mac

Postby Mac Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:57 pm

You clearly misread what i put, or misinterpreted rather. I never boasted about not wearing elbow pads, just gave you my reason not too, as im not playing lacrosse until the start of the Busa league this year, i dont see a point in getting either.

Trust me ive missed way too much lacrosse this year from injuries.
leeds Uni mens team : Defence
Team secretary & tour organiser
merseylaxjak21

Postby merseylaxjak21 Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:17 am

I've put some perfect ones for poles on ebay... Brand new
UKLaxfan

Postby UKLaxfan Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:16 pm

merseylaxjak21 wrote:I've put some perfect ones for poles on ebay... Brand new

Where the link?
Where's the photo?

Come on Jak up your game
merseylaxjak21

Postby merseylaxjak21 Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:14 pm

haha I'm on my phone doing this! I'm confused enough using it without having to put links and photos up too!
kiddo

Re:

Postby kiddo Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:13 pm

the pom wrote:the best are none at all save your money most good middies and attckers do not wear shoulder pads

so other middy and attackers that dont arnt good? Ryan Boyle wears them and look at him
the pom

Postby the pom Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:27 pm

ok go and buy the most expensive shoulder pads the bigger the better and see how much they improve your game.

the majority of lacrosse pads only protect from light impact

take outs are just as likley to result in injury if you want to disagree please explane how some dual densilty foam 15mm thick will make a diffrence when two 200LBs people run in to each other at full speed.
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:59 pm

I believe its mandatory in the US to wear shoulder pads certainly at all levels up to and including NCAA.
Whether that's the case at Pro Level I'm not sure, but knowing the legal set-up in the USA I would guess
that insurance cover would be void if you didn't? Interestingly many of the defense players wear minimal
arm protection e.g. the Neo-Sleeve, which gets around the rules!

I do think that the top-end protection e.g. Players Club shoulder pads and arm protection does a lot more
than protect against light impact!! The same is true of Box Pads. However, when a defender over 200 lbs
body checks you no amount of padding will help prevent you feeling it. Broken collar bones Mr Pom?
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com
kiddo

Re:

Postby kiddo Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:15 pm

[quote="the pom"]ok go and buy the most expensive shoulder pads the bigger the better and see how much they improve your game.

where did i say do that :lol: .............
i think shoulder pads just add confidence more than anything but they CLEARLY protect frm more than just light impact, to say they dont is stupid
and yeh they have a legal thing in college and that to wear shoulder pads but not in mll.
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:55 pm

TBH I think different styles and position of player dictate weather or not you need shoulder pads.

Personally I don’t wear them as a middy because I usually end up with short stick match ups.

But if I was a close in attack player I certainly would wear them, I don’t trust those axe yielding poles to land checks on stick, gloves or arms :P
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
the pom

Postby the pom Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:07 pm

"but they CLEARLY protect from more than just light impact, to say they dont is stupid"

ok explaine how
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:30 pm

<geek>
agreed there is a lot of energy to disipate when two big guys come together at speed 2* (1/2m*v*v) to be precice where m is mass of a player and v is the player velocity. the energy is dissipated in the collision in line with F=ma (force needed to stop=mass x acceleration) acceleration is change in speed over time so... if you can double the length of time that energy is dissipated over then you halve the total force applied to the player. seeing as the time the energy is dissipated over is very very short then even a small increase in that time can reduce the peak. also we're not talking about reducing it to the point where it isn't fealt. Assuming we're interested in broken bones, then these tend to fail catastrophically when a peak load is exceeded. if the load is only approached rather than exceeded nothing much untoward happens.
<\geek>

i tihnk thats right
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
kiddo

Postby kiddo Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:15 pm

didnt get any of that haha

im not talking about body checks, im talking about slashes, get some long stick slashing down on your collar without pads, and i think it would hurt A LOT MORE than without.....
kiddo

Postby kiddo Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:16 pm

THAN WITH* lol
Princess

Postby Princess Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:45 pm

i wear a set of stx shoguns, pretty minimal - i dislocated a shoulder playing lacrosse once i dont fancy doing it again plus they protect chest from being hit when blocking shots
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
UKLaxfan

Re:

Postby UKLaxfan Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:15 pm

the pom wrote:ok go and buy the most expensive shoulder pads the bigger the better and see how much they improve your game.

the majority of lacrosse pads only protect from light impact

take outs are just as likley to result in injury if you want to disagree please explane how some dual densilty foam 15mm thick will make a diffrence when two 200LBs people run in to each other at full speed.

the pom wrote:"but they CLEARLY protect from more than just light impact, to say they dont is stupid"

ok explaine how

No comment or need to explain
Bme

Postby Bme Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:16 pm

I wear shoulders more for the chest pad than the shoulder protection. I have an annoying habit of taking shots to the chest when sliding so anything to limit the damage that can happen is good by me. Though the bulky shoulder bits are very annoying so i'd prefer not to wear them.
Ex-York lacrosse club #26 07-09
Ex -Bath University Lacrosse Club 09-10
Bath 09-
Team Dork #26 2010 dublinfest
Viking Lax #26
Lewis

Postby Lewis Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:55 pm

LoPros, Shoguns or STX Cells
Lewis Arnold
Walcountian Blues #99
Portsmouth Uni. #70
D-Unit
davidmcculloch81

Re:

Postby davidmcculloch81 Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:23 am

Bme wrote:I wear shoulders more for the chest pad than the shoulder protection. I have an annoying habit of taking shots to the chest when sliding so anything to limit the damage that can happen is good by me. Though the bulky shoulder bits are very annoying so i'd prefer not to wear them.

Interesting point Don Blacklock made at the ref's course the other day was that in NCAA (I think) shoulder pads are compulsory for this very reason. People have been hit in the heart and have died from ball impact. Don's opinion is that he would like to see the same rule implemented here.

Any opinions?
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team

Return to “Defence Tips”