ProLaxShop

Shoulder pads

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:40 am

seems sensible to me (although all i wear is Rhino skin). somewhere I read an article ( i think posted on the american forums) about a series of tests carried out into death caused by being hit in the heart by a lacrosse ball. From what I remember the findings were that it was a small risk as the ball has to strike in the right place at a very specific time in the heartbeat. more interestingly was (and i think i remember this right) the study found that there was a speed window that was more dangerous and it wasn't high speed shots but around 30-40 mph. The study found that goalie pads (at the time) didn't offer sufficient protection from this injury. the tests were done by firing lax balls at live pigs wearing goalie pads.
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
Harry Collins

Postby Harry Collins Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:47 pm

Just wondering, are there many instances of broken ribs/collar bones/sternums puncturing lungs or hearts :shock: as a result of shots?
Hillcroft #41
Viking lax #14
Ex-Brooklands #14
Ex-York #14
davidmcculloch81

Postby davidmcculloch81 Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Apparently there are examples in the States. It takes a lot less to puncture a lung in many instances - such as a sneeze... :roll:
Jedi Lax #9
CEng MIMechE

My views are not necessarily those of Clarendon Road Primary School Pop Lacrosse Team
Ash

Postby Ash Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 pm

alan keeley at spencer ended up with a collapsed lung from lacrosse didn't he, though i believe that was from a big unfortunate hit rather than a shot.

I heard that there was a campaign to get defibrillators introduced in certain areas of lacrosse, and in fact someone had their life saved by the presence of one last season.

Wouldn't want to be the person in charge of having to use it though!
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
UKLaxfan

Commotio Cordis

Postby UKLaxfan Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Commotio Cordis
There is a small window of time ~0.017 secs during the heart rythm when if you suffer a blunt force trauma, your heart can stop. :shock:

Louis J Acompora was a 14 yr old High School player in USA who died from Commotio Cordis, when hit with a lacrosse ball. :(
His family set up a Foundation to make Automated External Defibrulators (AEDs) available on all HS Athletic fields in NJ

for more info goto http://www.la12.org/
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008

Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----

South Unis #6 (once)
kjk20

Postby kjk20 Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:40 am

A Bath Graduate took a shot to the chest at Bluesfest a couple of years ago and came back up spitting blood with a punctured lung and broken rib.

It might be a small chance that something would actually happen, but as a defender, you're expected to put your body on the line in the way of a shot, so I'll wear the pads for the chest protection. Same as I wear a box.

Took a couple of shots that would have broken ribs and I remember a shot the Blues hit me with last season which would have surely snapped my collar bone had I not had them.
Hillcroft
Bathletes
Ex Bath Uni
Ex Bath
Lewis

Postby Lewis Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Harrow P2 ultralights look pretty tight.
Lewis Arnold
Walcountian Blues #99
Portsmouth Uni. #70
D-Unit
Bme

Postby Bme Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:57 pm

I choose to wear them for the chest protection. I just need to find a pair that has less shoulder protection than the ones my parents bought me last christmas ( a result of them typing lacrosse into youtube and seeing people getting smashed up)
Ex-York lacrosse club #26 07-09
Ex -Bath University Lacrosse Club 09-10
Bath 09-
Team Dork #26 2010 dublinfest
Viking Lax #26
jon (blues)

Postby jon (blues) Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 pm

i think its all about personal preference ..

the rules are tight out in the states .. most leagues have to wear shoulder pads and mouth guards ( mouth guards being good to stop spinal injury .. apparently..)

i sometimes wear shoulder pads ( brine lopro ) only for the reason that if your sliding to the man that’s cranking a shot most of your body will be covered by your arms ready for the body check leaving your head and shoulders free to get hit ... personally id rather take a shot in the helmet or shoulder than let a goal in because i didn’t step in front of the shot

but as i said its all personal preference , if you feel your 'hard' enough to not wear them .. no one is stopping you . but if you want to feel abit more comfortable when your body checking or taking a shot then wear them !

and yea i have taken my fair amount of shots ( including some 6'4 johns Hopkins all American attack man who could shoot about 100mph ) but as a defender your expected to !

talking about that kid in NJ .. i was staying in NJ when that happened. sad story
hooters86

Postby hooters86 Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:33 pm

i used to wear shoulder pads, but not so much now
however, I am getting quite paranoid about taking a shot right to the chest which may result in some nasty consiquences such as DEATH!! :shock:
Ive not really found any small shoulder pads in the UK
De fen door

Postby De fen door Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:22 pm

I got some Warrior adrenalines and their brilliant, very lightweight and good value.

http://www.uklacrosse.com/adrenaline-70-i67.html
#6 Reading Wildcats

Return to “Defence Tips”