ProLaxShop

Defence gloves

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
'predator'

Defence gloves

Postby 'predator' Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:08 pm

Good morrow to you all.

A bit of background first.
I have been playing D for a West 2 team for just over a 18 months now, and obviously to start I only bought gloves that were in my price range (warrior adrenaline x). As my confidence has grown, so has my strength and ability. I have however, noticed that when I go in for those extra hard checks that the space between the thumb and 1st finger (i think its the Fascia over adductor pollicis muscle???) hurts considerably. Call me wuss or whatever, but I would much rather complain and do something about it, than suffer a broken thumb!

Do you guys know of a glove that offers extra protection for the palm (particularly the area I referred to)? Price isnt an issue, as I will be continuing with the sport after university, and for many years to come.

Thanks in advance,
Predator.
#86 Aberystwyth University 2009 -
Aico

Re: Defence gloves

Postby Aico Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:33 pm

I don't think any gloves have protection on the inside of the glove. Maybe you are just gripping the shaft wrong.
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Aico wrote:I don't think any gloves have protection on the inside of the glove. Maybe you are just gripping the shaft wrong.

seconded, however I've never used adrenaline's so have no idea what the palms are like. If they are just mesh then I can see the corners of the stick landing quite uncomfortably.

A few suggestions

1 solution is get some gloves with fairly thick palms. the rest of the lacrosse community seems to not like these, something to do with the feel of the stick? Ive had no problems with the maverik maybachs or brine supercrosse's that I used to have. the brine kings are pretty nice as well, however I've never played a game in them.

2nd solution is get some boxing wrist strapping and wrap that round your hands, added bonus is that it supports your wrists, but you won't be able to cradle very effectively.

3rd is possibly these or something similar http://www.evespeedsports.com/Gloveaverz_c_24.html , stick one in the effected area and it should act like thicker palms on gloves.

or man up, your call. :P
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
Steely Dan

Postby Steely Dan Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:33 pm

possibly try sticking a blister plaster on the inside of the glove. These may even be thick enough to put a couple of stiches in place to hold it a bit more long term.

In addition to the thicker palm comment from Mort above - the Reebok 9K have leather palms that are suitably thick but offer a nice feel (in my opinion at least)
Herts Comets Founder 04-08
Welwyn Warriors 04/05. 08 -->
whopead

Postby whopead Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:29 pm

I used to get the same problem i think!

It is nothing to do with the gloves. just bad technique. hitting people hard in the wrong way will hurt you aswell
Nottingham LC
www.nottslax.co.uk
webby

Postby webby Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:15 pm

I think he means when he goes to hit someone with his hands (not his stick), his thumbs are getting hurt...Am I right?

If so, look at the way you go in to hit some one and try and adjust it so your thumbs aren't leading or sticking out.

If you have hurt your thumbs this way, so that you've effectively stretched the ligaments/tendons around your thumb, maybe taping your thumb will give you some needed support?
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 pm

webby wrote:If you have hurt your thumbs this way, so that you've effectively stretched the ligaments/tendons around your thumb, .....

Any experience with this Webby? :roll: :lol: :wink:
Two Up!
webby

Postby webby Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:26 pm

Sour37 wrote:
webby wrote:If you have hurt your thumbs this way, so that you've effectively stretched the ligaments/tendons around your thumb, .....

Any experience with this Webby? :roll: :lol: :wink:

Double thumb spike. Gotta love it.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
'predator'

Postby 'predator' Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:58 am

mmm... thanks guys.
Collectively it seems my technique is a little off. And I have to agree. After a good half hour of using a flatmate as a punching bag, it seems that when I go in extra hard, with hands together, its my top hand and stick that make contact, not both hands. Hence the extra pressure on my tendons.

Its always the little things in lacrosse isn't it? I have training this afternoon and will rectify this from now on. But maybe some extra padding and some man-ing up also!

Thanks again,
Predator.
#86 Aberystwyth University 2009 -

Return to “Defence Tips”