ProLaxShop

long pole what to use

Advice for all the Defenders? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
ryanc325

long pole what to use

Postby ryanc325 Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 pm

what is the best shaft long pole for u19
Mort rotu

Re: long pole what to use

Postby Mort rotu Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:31 pm

depends what you want, price, weight, strength etc

for price you can't go too far wrong with a kryptolyte/C405, pretty light and cheap enough that you won't cry too much if it breaks, also has that most magical of properties in a little bit of flex so it'll bend rather than snapping. go for the normal rather than the pro version as its made with more metal so is more durable

Sc-Ti alloys seem pretty good and strong for their weight, maverick(H2), warrior (dolomite) and STX (ScTi) I have seen being used with varying degrees of success.

my personal choice is a Scorpion Genysis (good luck finding one), but at the rate I'm going the dings and dinks to the corners will join up and snap it. Its strong, flexible and straight, it'll snap before it bends. It does weigh a bit (so i'm told)

the last option is to get a wooden pole off cheeky. Attackers will run from you clutching broken fingers/wrists/sticks if you can bring one to their hands quick enough and slap checks will wrap round players. However refs will blow up on you left, right and centre for every wayward check you throw and the extra weight will make those nearly-a-slash checks turn into full blown break-the-other-guys-arm-off slashes.
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
the pom

Postby the pom Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:33 pm

Ti classic from warrior for the best.
There may be more suitable shafts at lower prices but they are the only ones that last for me.
League restructure I told you so 10/3/2011(looking good on this one)
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
webby

Postby webby Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Personal favourite is an STX Scandium. Relatively light and durable. Have used an STX titanium and bent it in multiple directions within 6 months.

Maybe try Demus and see if he has d-length Tri-Kor scandiums? I've heard good things about the short stick versions.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:42 pm

the pom wrote:Ti classic from warrior for the best.
There may be more suitable shafts at lower prices but they are the only ones that last for me.

I managed to corkscrew my Ti Classic to such a degree that throwing accurate passes with it was impossible, even after bending it back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
the pom

Postby the pom Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:15 am

Mort rotu wrote:even after bending it back

You obviously did not make a good job of straightening it
Prem division to two leagues will result in the prem division failing and being combined with Nemla 22/3/2012
the proposed restructure to 8 teams in each prem league will only last a couple of years until it has to be restructured again due to teams dropping out. 13/12/2012
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:55 pm

the pom wrote:
Mort rotu wrote:even after bending it back

You obviously did not make a good job of straightening it

the real problem is that after multiple remodellings (round attackers and then straightening) even titanium develops weak points which will bend in preference to straightening the desired part of the shaft.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
the pom

Postby the pom Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:59 pm

bend it using 4 points i never have any issues
lax-man-sam

Postby lax-man-sam Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:21 pm

I currently use a Warrior Platinum Alloy, it's pretty cheap and has lasted me a good 2-3 years. It's light but still durable, and after all these years its only got a few dings in it :)

I would strongly recommend it if you are on a fairly tight budget, or if you just want a light stick. (Especially when you put a nice Brine clutch on top ;) )
Sammy Harris
Ex-Walcountian Blues # 30
Portsmouth #63
D-Unit

FTG
Princess

Postby Princess Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:26 pm

gait db803 had 4 - quality
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
Notaeus

Postby Notaeus Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:29 pm

ryanc325 wrote:what is the best shaft long pole for u19

There is no such thing as an overall "best" long pole to use. What you will find is a range of "top tier" shafts to choose from, ie your titanium/titanium alloy shafts rather than the cheaper, heavier, more breakable aluminium ones.

EVERYTHING - and this goes for gloves, elbow pads, helmets, heads, stringing, shaft, cleats, etc - comes down to personal preference. Some long poles try to make their sticks as light as possible, picking the lightest shaft and using heads that are *typically* made for attackmen (these typically have less plastic to them and are lighter and more pinched). Others use a combination of light and heavy, picking a head that has more plastic to it and is thus stronger and more rigid for throwing checks and offset this weight by picking a lighter shaft so that they can still throw their checks quickly and can manouver the stick easily. Still others prefer a heavier head an a slightly heavier stick (keep in mind that we're talking a difference of a few grams here in the grand scheme!) so that while their checks may not be that extra tenth of a second as fast as another long pole's may be, the impact has a bit more *oomph* behind it.

That being said - there are some companies that people stick to because their shafts seem to last longer. The big 2 are Warrior and STX and you really can't go wrong with any of their top end titanium shafts. Brine and Gait shafts are typically considered a tad bit heavier, but are every bit as reliable as Warrior and STX. Like I said, it's all about preference!

Return to “Defence Tips”