ProLaxShop

Need a new/ light short shaft - suggestions....?

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
nazdogg

Need a new/ light short shaft - suggestions....?

Postby nazdogg Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:46 pm

I am a keeper (hence posting in this section)

I've been told by squad members that my shaft is to long and heavy for me! I'm not a particularly tall lad (that's a lie: 'i'm verticall challenged')

I was wondering what shaft would be recommended? Ideally I would like a light one that is quite short

The reason I like my shaft is that I have become used to its length especially when distributing the ball, and can wang it pretty far and to a decent degree of accuracy ( give or take 2m) Therefore woried a new shaft will hinder my long ball!

So to sum up would anyone like to post up any recommendations for a shaft (price hopefully below £70!) Already got a sweet head so that don't need changing!

Thanks,

Jase
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:00 pm

i assume you want a goalie shaft which you can then modify with a hacksaw not an attack length shaft (which is i beleive illegal).
when Joe Garvey did his goalie clinic at blues last year he did talk about helping you find the right length of shaft for you.
in terms of lightness you cant go wrong with a goalie length DB803 its super light, pretty strong and reasonably priced, great shafts
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
mully

Postby mully Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:08 pm

Well the 2007 NCAA rules state that the goalkeepers stick can be between 40 to 72 inches , so you can use attack length if you like. In fact I'm pretty sure Joe Garvey plays with a short shaft as well, and he also said get one with square edges for grip (as oppose to smooth rounded edges which tends to spin in your hand if the ball hit the corner of the stick.)

Anyhow... I just got a Scorpion Rogue from cjlax. Its beautiful, got nice edges, weighs in at 161g, its one of the lightest shaft around. There's also a titanium version that weighs just a touch more.
Before then,I had a Brine optra flip grip, which is lighter and stays in your hand better than the Warrior kryptopro.

hope that helps.
ladies goalkeeper for hire
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:18 pm

i thought i remembered him saying it was a goalie length shaft cut down to something between goalie and attack length, i remember the warning-that if you were going to buy a titanium then it would be expensive to mess up cutting it.
still wasn't listening perfectly all the time as was being informed one of my teammates at blues was on his way to hospital

the DB803 has the inverted grip which is pretty nice to grip. the dolomite I'm selling is (by all accounts) monster strong and light.
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008

Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----

South Unis #6 (once)
mully

Postby mully Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:22 pm

but I'm not sure if the scorpion comes in goalie length tho, if you didn't want it that short.
But my supra was a goalie shaft (minus 3 inches).

I find that the optimum stick length is (there about): when you hold your stick horizontally across your chest, stretch out your arm to your side, put top hand on the shaft just below the head, the butt end should be long enough to reach your bottom hand shoulder. which should give you optimum leverage and balance when you throw... its a theory anyway.
mully

Postby mully Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:30 pm

Tom_Southampton wrote:i thought i remembered him saying it was a goalie length shaft cut down to something between goalie and attack length, i remember the warning-that if you were going to buy a titanium then it would be expensive to mess up cutting it.

yeah, you're probably right, unless you're actually under 5'3, attack length would be bit too short. and don't ever try to cut a titanium shaft unless you have access to an industrial saw... or you'll be at it with a hacksaw for days...
nazdogg

Postby nazdogg Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:34 pm

think i'm 5'4 at a push!

So basically light shaft with rigid edges for better grip, get, my length sorted and just take it to the dt department and saw it down....
joe garvey

Postby joe garvey Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:12 pm

There is no rule for a goalie stick length, you can look through pictures and see goalies of all sizes using anything from an attack shaft (the towson goalies have been known for doing this) to what looks like a cut down dpole (jesse schwartzmen).

It comes down to personal preference, but a few things to keep in mind, you want a stick that when you cross over to make an off stick high save wont get caught on your knee.

The concern over it effecting how far you can throw the ball - this is more related to the pocket you use and your throwing technique. You may also find if you cut down on the length you will become more acurate and have better control out of goal.

For someone who is under 5'6, you may want to try just an attack shaft. There is no alterations needed, and you can ask to borrow 1 from a team mate for a day of training to see if you like it.

I use a titanium that is a few inches longer then an attack shaft. But as the others have said, do not experiment with a shaft this expensive.
UKLacrosse

Postby UKLacrosse Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:50 pm

All good advice Joe!

Maybe I can relate a question that Greg Cattrano asked on this very subject at a goalie clinic we had 3 years ago. When asked who played with a full length or cut-down shaft, it was around 50:50 but there were younger players and girls in the total number of around 25. The reasons for having a full length shaft were given as -
better on clears, and better on intercepts. No one had really thought through what Joe has identified -

1. Cross over to non stick-side high.
2. A well strung head and good technique will enable you to clear sufficiently well.

and an additional point that Greg identified..... all that were using a full length shaft the bottom hand was at least 6 inches from the butt end in normal use.

Greg did not say what was right or wrong, just made these points.
Greg uses (or should I say used to use) a cut-down shaft!!

By the way Joe Garvey will be at our camp at Wilmslow at Easter, and holding a Goalie Clinic on Easter Monday.
Warrior Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
Brine Lacrosse Equipment & Apparel
www.uklacrosse.com

Return to “Goalie Tips”