ProLaxShop

Good warmup for matches

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
sotonsalmon

Good warmup for matches

Postby sotonsalmon Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:43 pm

What does everyone tend to prefer when it comes to warming up before a match in goal?

I tend to loosen up a bit with some ball throwing over a distance, taking a bit of a run and stretching the muscles all over etc.

I then have someone toss a ball from a meter of so away by hand and I'll catch with my hands while always stepping forwards (to help me focus on the ball more). Then I get in goal with full kit while a guy with a short stick will softly shoot at the different sections of the goal (top-left, top-right, bottom-left etc.), these shots will gradually get harder and the distance between me and him will increase gradually until he's doing full, hard shots at a fair distance.

Anyone, do anything differently?
Rian

Postby Rian Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:10 pm

Not really except for practising clearing and game situations with the rest of the team...
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
HaverGoalie

Postby HaverGoalie Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:46 pm

I save the fancy reflex work for practice and like a straight up area warmup, shots at 50-75%, 10 stickside high, 10 offstick high, 10 stickside hip, 10 offstick hip, 10 close bounce shots, ten high bounce shots, 10 100% all over, then some clearing.
Oxford Keeper 2005-2006

Haverford College, USA
sotonsalmon

Postby sotonsalmon Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:54 pm

Rian wrote:Not really except for practising clearing and game situations with the rest of the team...

Actually, I found practising clearing is useful as well, as continually throwing the ball long distances is good for working the arm. Its' also good practise for passing to a running player.
stemcdlax23

Postby stemcdlax23 Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:53 pm

personally i would drink a few beers and hope that takes most of the pain away!
'This is the whit...........'

Northern Monkey
Rian

Postby Rian Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:23 pm

sotonsalmon wrote:
Rian wrote:Not really except for practising clearing and game situations with the rest of the team...

Actually, I found practising clearing is useful as well, as continually throwing the ball long distances is good for working the arm. Its' also good practise for passing to a running player.

I meant I don't do anything differently from you other than a focus on our particular system for clearing, not that I don't do it :)
HLC Munich #??
Ex-Bristol Bombers #1
Ex-Bristol Sharks #23
Flamin' Galahs #23
-------------------------------------------------------
'Trust me...I'm a Lawyer'
Wolfey1313

off topic perhaps

Postby Wolfey1313 Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:27 pm

can i ask i have not been playing long (i will eventualy stop saying that) but i recently played a game for our fresher team against penarth and we arroved late due to a breakdown so i had no time to warm up and i was SHOCKING!!!!!
As you get more experiance do you need a lesws of a warm up?
or is it a must in all cases
I have to say by the end of the second quater i was back on form (whatever that may be) but it did take alot of time.
Is this always the case?
Swansea Hawks Goalie

Number *17*
sotonsalmon

Postby sotonsalmon Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:49 pm

I'd say for any position you need a good warmup before a match to get everything loosened up and have a bit of practice. But for a goalie you need to have a more personalised warmup, where you get someone on your team to take you aside to a goal and do some shooting, whereby they shoot lightly at different sections of the goal repeatedly until you feel sufficiently warmed up. It's better they don't do any really hard shots to avoid any injuries before a match!

Personally, I find the best part of the warmup is to get you to focus on the ball in saving, as a large part of goalkeeping is concentrating on the ball position.
laxwill11
League Mod
League Mod

Re: off topic perhaps

Postby laxwill11 Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:27 pm

Wolfey1313 wrote:but i recently played a game for our fresher team against penarth

was this a mixed game? i play mens for penarth and dont remember any games against swansea freshers!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight...
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:37 pm

it was mixed, he cleverly missed that out. Oh and Penarth lost by the way :o
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
colecooldude

Postby colecooldude Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:49 am

stretch run pass get head straight
joe garvey

Postby joe garvey Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:35 am

Simple short answer for what is the correct warm up - what ever works for you.

If you play well after a 5 min session of anyone shooting on you then stick with that.

If you need 20 minutes of a specific shooter or shooters in a certain order then do that.

In the past it would be arrive 20 minutes before the team with the other goalie, light jog, stretch, some passing, short stick (I have an attack stick) warm up, full shots with goalie stick, breakout/clearing passes, team drills

Since leaving uni - arrive with team, light stretch, have the same person each time shot to spots (stich high, off stick high etc) stretch again

It really depends on what you are comfortable with.
Last edited by joe garvey on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Stanford

Postby Mr.Stanford Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:37 am

joe garvey wrote:
In the past it would be arrive 20 minutes before the team with the other goalie, light job, stretch,

The other goalie was a girl right?
Hitchin

Tros ryddid gollasant eu gwaed
colmeir2

Postby colmeir2 Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:06 am

Im new to the board here but I played all through high school in Michigan (weather similar to the UK). I used to find that my favorite warm up before a match was to have my back to the shooter (myself looking at the touch line) and then the shooter would yell shot when he was shooting, and I would have to turn around make the save (hopefully). The shooter (usually my coach) would start out at about 25-30% then work his way up to 70ish%. I never really like people winding up from the top of the box or whatever as warm up because well, I dont enjoy the bruising or whatever with out the joy of knowing it was for something!
Paul~6

Postby Paul~6 Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:33 am

Stretch, Little jog, then straight into the cage shots anywhere to keep me on my toes.
nima

Postby nima Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:17 pm

what kind of stretches does everyone do?
I don't really stretch much before games, but i've started to think I should
Exeter Uni - #1
Two Canoe - #1
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:10 pm

From reading and talking to various people i reckon that gentle jogging to warm the muscles followed by dynamic stretchest (skipping, lunging etc) Apparently your muscle fibres will twitch quicker if they haven't been streched statically beforehand.
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
alex_reactions

Re: Good warmup for matches

Postby alex_reactions Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:46 pm

i have 10 shots top right
10 shots top left
10 shot hip right
10 shots hip left
10 shots bottom left
10 shots bottom right
then bounce shots
but then get my coach to stand about1 yard off the crease and we do qucik stick. so that im saving about 8 out of 10
then he get to the restrainer and shoots hard then we go into 4 corner

hope that helps
Wilmslow A Team Number 1
Ash

Postby Ash Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:38 pm

a depressing number of the goalies in this 6 year old thread are retired or not in the country any more!!
Reading Wildcats (#13) 2010 - Present
Southampton City (#13) 2008-2010
Reading Wildcats 2007-2008
Southampton University (#13) Pre - 2007
steelieschick86

Postby steelieschick86 Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:49 pm

I've found it more worrying the lack of teams. I'm a women's goalie from Rotherham area (South Yorkshire) and can't find a team to play for outside of University.

Return to “Goalie Tips”