ProLaxShop

Positioning

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
UKLaxfan

Great Save

Postby UKLaxfan Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:40 am

How many goalies can do the splits?

Fantastic photo of The Save of Final Four weekend.

Michael Gvozden stones Steven Keogh 1-on-1 in the NCAA Final, amazing save amazing picture. :shock:

hatswell

Postby hatswell Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:35 am

Ouch! That must have hurt somewhere! but at least he saved it and someone got it on camera, otherwise I'm not sure how many people would believe the whole 'I made a 1-1 save and did the splits all in the NCAA final!'
Princess

Postby Princess Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:40 pm

the save it self was awesome we were right behind in the stands two pump fakes as the guy was in the air - he covered both then manged to get down to the actual shot. Was a total breakaway as well next nearest guy was orange as well.

Think the outlet lead to a rabil goal as well...
Blues #8
Aberystwyth Alumni

SAY NO TO BRO
stephen

Postby stephen Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:47 pm

I am having trouble with positioning when the ball is at x and also recently I have let in quite a high percentage of shots on the near post.

Any drills or advice would be great.
Aberystwyth University Lacrosse 2011-
Keele University Lacrosse 2006-2010
President Keele University Lacrosse 07-08
nima

Re:

Postby nima Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:08 pm

stephen wrote:I am having trouble with positioning when the ball is at x and also recently I have let in quite a high percentage of shots on the near post.

Do you mean once the balls come round?
Or while it's directly behind?

What I do is stand opposite the ball, so if the ball is back right I'll be on the left post, but once the man with ball comes into the triangle the net makes i'll hit the pipe his driving around.
This means if they do a cross field pass (right to left) you're able to turn around and already be in position, and you also have the advantage of being able to see cuts from top right.
(assuming the man is back right).

When the ball comes round hug the post with your inside leg, don't be too perpendicular from the post though, maybe be slightly flater against the goal line, this cuts down his angle if he's driving round.
Exeter Uni - #1
Two Canoe - #1
Tom_Southampton

Re:

Postby Tom_Southampton Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:26 pm

stephen wrote:I am having trouble with positioning when the ball is at x and also recently I have let in quite a high percentage of shots on the near post.

There were some good articles by Joe Garvey in lacrosse talk a while back about positioning. Can't remember much (not being a goalie) but remember that when the ball is at x you should be facing it with your stick level with the crossbar and your bottom hand low on the shaft ready to punch the stick up to intercept an over-goal pass. The head of the stick shouldn't be above the bar as you are aiming not to be seen to be ready for the intercept.
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
nima

Re: Re:

Postby nima Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Tom_Southampton wrote: The head of the stick shouldn't be above the bar as you are aiming not to be seen to be ready for the intercept.

Also if your stick is above crossbar and they shoot it at your stick and it rolls in you're going to look a bit stupid... :lol:
Exeter Uni - #1
Two Canoe - #1
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:10 pm

When I used to play rollerhockey I saw a goal scored off the back wall of the 'rink', off the back of the keepers head and in. how we laughed

South Unis #6 (once)
mandy
Admin
Admin

Re:

Postby mandy Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 am

Tom_Southampton wrote:When I used to play rollerhockey I saw a goal scored off the back wall of the 'rink', off the back of the keepers head and in. how we laughed

i think that was just the thought of you on skates mate
ahhh ... the whit
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:00 pm

I'll have you know I was grace and elegance personified. that, and hockey kit does a good job of covering up the fat

South Unis #6 (once)

Return to “Goalie Tips”