ProLaxShop

Goalie stance

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Fla_Laxer

Goalie stance

Postby Fla_Laxer Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:42 pm

I have recently been practicing and need an opinion on something. On the low mid left shots i am going over to stop the ball and ive tried everything i know. If you could id like some feedback on how to break this bad habit.
rgm2

Re: Goalie stance

Postby rgm2 Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:27 am

I found I was doing this as well, for me it was because I wasn't stepping through the shot. So if you step to the left, through the shot it should become more natural to bring the stick up from low.
It's the only thng I can think of buddy.
LacrosseRob

Postby LacrosseRob Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:39 pm

I tend to just throw myself onto my knees to try and get in the way of these, stick moving with me of course. But something a lot of goalies do that's a bad habit (I'm as guilty as the next guy) is when going for offside low/hip shots they move the stick in a circular motion because it feels natural, when generally it's quicker to move it in straight lines. If you don't step though you wont get the reach you need for some of the tighter shots.
Ex-Leicester Uni #99
Leicester Uni Men's Captain 2011/12
Maidstone #00
fudge

Postby fudge Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:02 pm

Rob can you post a video showing what you mean about circular motions/straight lines on the offside shots? I do the same, would be cool to see how else it's done
Maidstone Red Wolves #26, 2014 - Present
Canterbury Christ Church University #1, 2009-12
LacrosseRob

Postby LacrosseRob Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:23 pm

The way I've always tried to think about it is if the stick is below your hip before it's moved to the ball side then you're moving in too circular a motion. Turning the stick at the end helps you to create better surface area but can be achieved late in the movement, rather than a more natural feeling wide sweeping motion.

This guy is a fairly good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VujergA2 ... re=related

at about 2.10 you see him bring the stick across himself in pretty much a line down to his hip letting his wrists do a lot of the work at the end.

again at about 2.24 you see he keeps his stick moving down his body rather than around it. He turns the stick but the head itself is again pretty much moving straight from his shoulder to where the ball is going to be, there's no wasted movement.
Ex-Leicester Uni #99
Leicester Uni Men's Captain 2011/12
Maidstone #00

Return to “Goalie Tips”