ProLaxShop

goalie's mesh

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Laxgorilla20

goalie's mesh

Postby Laxgorilla20 Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:57 am

I just strong a goalie head the pocket is horrible it can throw but everytime I get shot on the stix the ball comes right out any ways I can fix it
tackers201

Re: goalie's mesh

Postby tackers201 Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:04 pm

Well assuming you've strung it fine then you just need to wear it in, I find it quite useful to put on your glove and just spend 10-15 minutes punching it in. Also with most goalie pockets when you set it up, you want to get the right balance so that it's not so deep that you can't consistently pass with it, but deep enough that you don't give up loads of rebounds or drop the ball under pressure, and this balance really depends on the player. From what you've said you may want to deepen the pocket a bit, I'd imagine theres loads of videos and tips on youtube and inside lacrosse
Bath University
Bath City
Laxgorilla20

Postby Laxgorilla20 Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:41 pm

thanks so much that will help
Totty

Postby Totty Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Improving your stick skills will also help; lots and lots of wall ball with a tennis ball will be incredibly frustrating but highly beneficial :D Also I don't know how many diamonds you have but if it's really a problem then you could try going down to a 10D? (Or 12D if you have 20D atm. If you do, where did you get it I can't find it anywhere!!) The only downside to that is passing won't be quite as easy and it won't hold it's pocket as well, but it'll be much easier to break in!
Jambon8

Postby Jambon8 Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi,

On a similar note, I have to string up a goalie stick, and we will be finding a fresher goalie at university, what diamond would you suggest for a newbie, Ive never played the position myself and our last goalie has graduated.
Cheers

Jamie
Bournemouth University No 8.

Mildy average attacker.
LashBro

Postby LashBro Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:05 pm

On a similar note, I have to string up a goalie stick, and we will be finding a fresher goalie at university, what diamond would you suggest for a newbie, Ive never played the position myself and our last goalie has graduated.

12D mesh. Whether you are experienced or a noob i'd recommend 12D. Great hold and smooth release, the best of both worlds. Of course this is personal preference, but there is a reason why you see a lot of 12D mesh on goalie heads!