ProLaxShop

Weight Training

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
P.Pexton

Weight Training

Postby P.Pexton Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:32 pm

What sort of weight training should Goalies be doing?

In fact what sort of training should Goalies be doing outside of training?
webby

Postby webby Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:07 pm

I'm not a goalie but you can't got wrong with full body workouts. Go for complex exercises such as squats, deadlifts, pull ups, dumbell bench and inverse rows. It wouldn't hurt to include plyometric exercises for explosive power. If you're not sure what plyometrics are, they are effectively exercises where you are going from controlled loading to explosive contraction (an example is dropping down from a box, absorbing the impact by flexing your ankles, knees, hips and then exploding upwards by powerful muscle contractions. Have a search on google, there's some decent sites out there.

A good drill I have heard for goalies is when you stand in front of a wall, and someone behing you throws a ball at the wall, and you have to react and catch it on the rebound. You are therefore effectively saving a shot that is appearing from no where.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
Tom_Southampton

Postby Tom_Southampton Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:28 pm

You could probably do worse than some dilligent googling, if nothing lax goalie specific is forthcoming you could try icehockey, I would imagine that bulking up might well slow your reactions down.
Southampton Uni #35 2003-2008
Southampton Sabres #35 2008-----
South Unis #6 (once)
webby

Re:

Postby webby Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:43 pm

Tom_Southampton wrote:You could probably do worse than some dilligent googling, if nothing lax goalie specific is forthcoming you could try icehockey, I would imagine that bulking up might well slow your reactions down.

You can get stronger without bulking up via weight training. Just lower the weight and up the rep count.

That being said, some of the people with incredibly quick reactions (e.g. NCAA/MLL/NLL/NHL goalies, boxers, UFC fighters) aren't exactly bean poles. I honestly don't think bulking up within reason will reduce your reactions if you work on them at the same time.

There are very few people I would not recommend hitting the weights as part of a means to improve their gameplay.
Sheffield University 2005-2008
Northumbria University 2008-2011
Newcastle upon Tyne 2008-Present
http://www.nutlax.com
Livlax

Re:

Postby Livlax Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:27 pm

Tom_Southampton wrote: I would imagine that bulking up might well slow your reactions down.

a common misconception, weight training doesn't slow you down, explosive weight training activates your fast twitch muscles and any kind of weight training will increase your fitness and performance.
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:57 pm

Cool cheers guys. I'll get on the plyo!

Also a lot of places tell goalies to "walk the line"? What is that exactly?
Livlax

Postby Livlax Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:56 am

if it's what im thinking of it's a drill where someone throws a ball to a keeper (which they catch), the aim being for the keeper to work on stepping to the ball, you use the line as a guide.

i might be wrong but that's the drill that comes to mind
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Doing high reps of low weights won't make you a lot stronger - to increase strength you need to overload the muscles, thus tearing the muscle fibres and then allowing them to grow bigger. However, high reps at low weights will increase muscular endurance.

Being more athletic can never hurt in any form of sport - they do say a good biggun will always beat a good smallun! So all round weight training excercises, working the major muscle groups, cardiovascular fitness, core strength should all increase performance.

I thought walking the line refers to the way a goalie covers his goal when the ball is moving around the goal. Some goalies go straight across the goal line, some make a small crescent-shape out between the pipes, others use more of a V. Therefore as the ball is up twop you would be a little off your line, then as it moves down to the side you go towards that side and towards the pipe, ending up next to the pip when the ball is to the side of the goal.

The point being that you can lessen the area visible to the shooter by being off the line? Though that reasoning may not be correct.
Dubai Lacrosse #3
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:26 pm

Cheers guys, after a more thorough search of the world wide web I've found a string of useful drills to do in my own time and at training to improve.
DommoBath

Postby DommoBath Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Are you moving into the pipes then Phil? What's prompted this change?

I suppose at least middies across the South and West won't have to take such a battering at every single face-off when they play against you at least!
Dubai Lacrosse #3
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Yeah uni don't have one so stepped in for them and am rather enjoying it...want to get a bit better tis all! I was always told I was a couple sarnies short of a picnic so I guess this just confirms it! Don't worry though I'm still sticking with pole when I'm not in net...got another flags final to play in! :D
joe garvey

Postby joe garvey Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:35 pm

Walking the Line -
A drill to teach muscle memory ( a vital trait to have with less then .25 secs to react)

You find a long straight line (restraining line if possible, though a long hallway works)

You straddle the line imagining it is the center of the goal (shading towards your off hand)

Get into your ready position with out a stick

Go the length of the line moving explosively for each of the following 1. Stick side high, 2. Off stick high, 3. Stick side hip, 4. Off stick hip, 5. Stick side bounce, 6. Off stick bounce, 7. 5 hole bounce

In total you should have done 7 lengths, reset after each rep, using perfect form (in short, don't drop the raise hands, don't false step, DO triple step and have feet back in ready position at end of 'save')

Hope that helps.
P.Pexton

Postby P.Pexton Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:38 am

Cheers Joe! :D I've been looking at other sites, but none explain it as well as that. I'll be sure to do that at our next training session!

Return to “Goalie Tips”