ProLaxShop

Goalie Glasses

for all the Goalies? Tips from the coaches. Advice from players.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
moffat

Goalie Glasses

Postby moffat Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi,

A buddy of mine wears glasses everyday but cant seem to get them to fit into his lacrosse helmet or at least stay positioned on his head. He says they rattle around when he moves his head and sometimes they fog up on him. Now he has terrible eyesight and for some reason or other (i didn't want to ask him) he can't wear contact. He has stoppped using his glasses when playing, also has a fear of breaking them.

I was just wondering do any other goalies (or other players) out there use sports glasses or know where he could get a set for a lacrosse goalie??

Cheers,

Moffat
University College Dublin #1
Dublin #1
fresher309
League Mod
League Mod

Postby fresher309 Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:27 pm

Dave Howie wear glasses under his helmet i think he's happylaxer, maybe pm him
Ex Birmingham Bulls #88
Bristol Bombers #88
Turkish.....Maybe
Lacrostitute....Definitely
Mort rotu

Postby Mort rotu Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:52 am

you could get him a pair of dodgeball type goggles, ala the guy in the link below 2nd from the right:

http://www.mountidamustangs.com/Intramurals/Dodgeball
Currently M.I.A. - I'll be back.
Soton Uni #33 05-12
Soton Uni Secretary 09-11
79er

Postby 79er Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 am

I tried wearing the rec specs when I was in goal- however they have an annoying tendency to steam up and if it's raining.... it's almost impossible to see. Also, a good hit and they're stuck at a jaunty angle for the rest of the quarter. I'm now using contacts even though my right eye only gets 80% vision with them :(.
steve flint

Postby steve flint Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:31 pm

Used to wear specs in goal but they were a nightmare when it rained.... contact lensare better
Ex-Lacrosseur
Ex-Hillcroft #00
ex-Croydon #1 ex-Hillcroft #20 ex-Wales #20 ex-South #20 ex- Nomads #69
whoever said goalies were a sarnie short of a picnic had no idea how close to the truth they were
Play... Bleed..... Strap up your wounds.... Play again
oldman

I've used prescription goggles in and out of goal

Postby oldman Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:08 pm

I had a similar problem with not being able to stick my glasses on under a helmet and I found a set of prescription goggles worked pretty well, especially if used with an anti-fog preparation.

Mine are Hilco Zoom goggles and I got them from SportsLens (online) http://www.sportslens.co.uk. All you need is your prescription and if in doubt call them they are really really helpful. (I am not an agent or owner of sportslens, neither do I have any commercial involvement in the company). Only drawback is they do make you look a bit weird, or maybe the opposition would look at me like that anyway.

The anti-fog I use is the same one that is sold fro motorcycle visors...works a treat.

Giles
Kent Lacrosse Development Association
Cranbrook Lacrosse Club
Maidstone Lacrosse Club
Totty

Re: Goalie Glasses

Postby Totty Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:41 pm

I've played in goal for 7 years and worn glasses every single time, and I've had no problems at all.. well ok it's a bit of a pain when it rains, also when it's very cold and I have to run around because they fog up with the warmth from my cheeks, but they've never been too much of an issue and have certainly never stopped me saving a goal. The only helmet where glasses were a bit awkward at first was a Cascade one, but this could have been because it was the only helmet that wasn't rattling around on my head.. anyway I just have to be a bit careful taking the helmet on and off, but otherwise it's fine.. (and my glasses are the fashionable sort of rectangular geek-chic ones, so not exactly robust or ideal for sports.) Also it's worth mentioning that I routinely get smashed square in the face by the captain of the Scotland team (when in goal) and my glasses have never suffered in the slightest..
Maybe a different helmet would sort out your friend's problem?! And I'm sure there are coatings or sprays you can get that are anti-fog..
Dining Room

Postby Dining Room Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:09 am

Is there any guidance on safety issues with glasses under helmets?
I was once part of the winning Pop Lacrosse team that defeated Wigan in the 1992 Greater Manchester Youth Games.

Here's a 150 second video about how to earn more money with me

http://www.telecomplus.co.uk/biz/videodir/home.taf?exref=C58612
Sour37

Postby Sour37 Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Dining Room wrote:Is there any guidance on safety issues with glasses under helmets?

Doubt it.

Imo A properly fitted helmet shouldn't interfere with the geps.
Dalenator

Postby Dalenator Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 am

I had some until i lost them :S

have him pop into spec savers and get some squash lenses, they increase peripheral vision as this sit just over your sockets, have padded nose and face pieces for impacts (if the helmet jars sideways), the lenses are a reinforced plastic. It also comes with a head strap to hold it to your face.
only problem i had with them was the fact sweat would drip down them, one sweat band later and it was a pretty sweet set up.

I could always play with much more confidence with them due to the fact i knew my face would break before they did.

as for glasses wiggling, grab some sports straps from boots that fit on the end of your glasses, roughly £2
stops it sliding down your nose etc.
F/O Middie
Aberyswyth University (stand in) - No 14
Bangor University - No 14
Rochdale (trainee :P)
Epsom (stand in)

Return to “Goalie Tips”