Postponed games, East division

Play for a mixed team? Post In here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
Tree13

Postponed games, East division

Postby Tree13 Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:30 pm

This is really a question for the Captains in this division.

Having been asked to ref for Brighton on a number of occasions this season only to see the game cancelled at relatively short notice, I happened yesterday to take a look at the league table http://mixedlacrosse.leaguerepublic.com ... ue=8916680 and I was surprised to see that a lot of teams have a lot of postponed games left to play.

I hear through the grapevine that travel is becoming increasingly difficult for several teams and I believe I have a solution of sorts. Using the successful model from the Irish domestic men's league, I believe that a lot of these outstanding fixtures could be resolved if the teams agreed a date and a venue to hold a game day. The idea would be that as many teams as possible would congregate at one location for a whole day and play a series of games, similar in all ways to a tournament except that the fixtures would be pre-determined by the needs of the league schedule. Obviously the games themselves would need to be of slightly shorter duration (maybe 10 minute quarters?) and a location with at least two pitches would be needed, BUT it would allow each team to play at least four of their remaining fixtures at a reduced travelling expense. The Ibis ground, where Reading play their Men's SEMLA fixtures, would be a suitable location, as would Southampton's Wide Lane (geographically not quite as good as Reading, but a better facility in my personal opinion).

Presumably the counterpoint to this plan is that the venue hire cost would be more than normal for a home game, BUT if it allows the home team to play two or three of their remaining home games on one day AND maybe one or two of their "away" games (by agreement with their opponents) this cost can simply be offset against the projected costs for further home and away fixtures which would, in theory, no longer be needed. Perhaps each of the "visiting" teams could also make a contribution out of the savings they will have made on overall travel costs?

By having several teams in one place you also solve the eternal problem of referees - the rota system used in women's lacrosse could be adopted, whereby any third team provides two/three officials for each game. For good measure, you could even contact one of the lacrosse retailers and see if they would send someone to run a stall during the day.

I don't play for a team in this league anymore, but it's a shame to see the league itself struggle. Mixed provides a reliable pathway into the single-gender versions of the game and if it falters then lacrosse in the South as a whole will suffer. Can the Captains get their heads together and try to reach a solution please!
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
holdtheline

Re: Postponed games, East division

Postby holdtheline Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi,

I'm one of the southampton captains. Northampton had a similar idea with this and were willing to host i believe, so it might be an idea to get in touch with them. Wide lane would be a good venue, but as you said location isn't so ideal. Hopefully this can get sorted

Oli
zurkan

Re: Postponed games, East division

Postby zurkan Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:38 am

Fixtures and tournaments are organised by the MLL administrator as well as by the universities involved.
sara

Return to “Mixed”