ProLaxShop

Imperial Cup Results, March 19th

Play for a mixed team? Post In here.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting on the forum please ensure you read the Board Wide Rules
User avatar
Tree13
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:41 pm
gender: Male

Imperial Cup Results, March 19th

Postby Tree13 Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Brighton 1sts won the Imperial Cup by beating Bath Elite 2 - 1 in a nailbiting final.

Brighton 2nds won the plate contest with a comfortable 4 - 1 victory over Royal Holloway.

Game of the day was the cup semi-final between Brighton 1sts and the Teddington Pterodactyls, which finished 2 - 1 after double overtime. I have never seen or played in a faster-paced, more closely-balanced or tense match.

Thank you to Imperial College for organising a fantastic day of mixed lacrosse, hopefully some of the teams on display will enter the mixed league next year!
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
User avatar
oldman
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:23 pm
gender: Male
Location: Cranbrook, Kent
Contact:

Re: Imperial Cup Results, March 19th

Postby oldman Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:27 pm

The only other award where there was a clear winner was for d**k of the Day [there was more than one] which goes to the drunken oafs from Bath University who thought it was big and clever to harras and bully the female umpires at the Imperial Cup.

Nice one lads..I'm sure the Uni is proud of you!
Kent Lacrosse Development Association
Cranbrook Lacrosse Club
Maidstone Lacrosse Club
tackers201
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm
gender: Male

Re: Imperial Cup Results, March 19th

Postby tackers201 Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:42 pm

oldman wrote:The only other award where there was a clear winner was for d**k of the Day [there was more than one] which goes to the drunken oafs from Bath University who thought it was big and clever to harras and bully the female umpires at the Imperial Cup.

Nice one lads..I'm sure the Uni is proud of you!


With regards to the 'd*ck of the day' nomination offered by the gentleman above, I would offer my apologies for the behaviour of some of our group...I admit we thought the day was more of a laid back fun affair given the nature of mixed lacrosse! Some of our second team especially treated the day as if it was a day of tour whereas some of the teams we faced enroute to the final were doing line drills in between matches! Given our players were from either a Mens' or Womens' lacrosse background we were somewhat naive over how seriously some people can take mixed lacrosse, so apologies to anyone offended by any chants. I can say for 100% that women were in no way targeted as implied above, and nor were referees to be honest. Many of our teams' only experience of mixed lacrosse is DublinFest, where 'banterous' celebrations and tomfoolery take precident over line drills. Congratulations to Brighton for the victory, it was well deserved and they were clearly a well drilled and well prepared Mixed Lacrosse outfit.
Bath University
Bath City
User avatar
oldman
Posts: 259
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:23 pm
gender: Male
Location: Cranbrook, Kent
Contact:

Re: Imperial Cup Results, March 19th

Postby oldman Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Let me be quite clear. I have reffed Dublinfest and the type of behaviour, of a small but vociferous part of the Bath party, was in no way tour banter. To attempt to write off boorish behaviour as banter is, quite frankly, pathetic.

The particular incident followed the repeated interruption of a game by a couple in the Bath group with a referees whistle. It was causing substantial problems on the field and the girl who was refereeing came over to remonstrate. Had it ended there..then I could, just about, go with the banter defence. However, the whistle trick was repeated and when the girl came across to complain again she received a general barracking but from one "gentleman" she received a torrent of foul mouthed abuse which included refences to her sex and why she was refereeing?

To claim to be "inexperienced" mixed players is also pretty thin as Bath, if i recall correctly, won last year's Dublinfest, and i suspect did a few line drills on the way.

The tour/banter excuse sounds as though it come from the Andy Gray book of excuses.
Kent Lacrosse Development Association
Cranbrook Lacrosse Club
Maidstone Lacrosse Club
User avatar
Tree13
Posts: 382
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:41 pm
gender: Male

Re: Imperial Cup Results, March 19th

Postby Tree13 Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 pm

tackers201 wrote:
oldman wrote:The only other award where there was a clear winner was for d**k of the Day [there was more than one] which goes to the drunken oafs from Bath University who thought it was big and clever to harras and bully the female umpires at the Imperial Cup.

Nice one lads..I'm sure the Uni is proud of you!


With regards to the 'd*ck of the day' nomination offered by the gentleman above, I would offer my apologies for the behaviour of some of our group...I admit we thought the day was more of a laid back fun affair given the nature of mixed lacrosse! Some of our second team especially treated the day as if it was a day of tour whereas some of the teams we faced enroute to the final were doing line drills in between matches! Given our players were from either a Mens' or Womens' lacrosse background we were somewhat naive over how seriously some people can take mixed lacrosse, so apologies to anyone offended by any chants. I can say for 100% that women were in no way targeted as implied above, and nor were referees to be honest. Many of our teams' only experience of mixed lacrosse is DublinFest, where 'banterous' celebrations and tomfoolery take precident over line drills. Congratulations to Brighton for the victory, it was well deserved and they were clearly a well drilled and well prepared Mixed Lacrosse outfit.

Firstly let me say I was playing for the Teddington Pterodactyls yesterday. Whilst I do normally play for Brighton, I have no idea what their take on your team was yesterday and I don't pretend to speak for them. Nor do I speak for Teddington, but I simply offer my opinion as someone who was there.

Secondly let me say that given the ref in the final had to tell your first team captain to control your sideline or your team would be penalised, and this was after refs in the group games repeatedly spoke to your sideline, I find it interesting that you describe the demeanour of some of your teammates as in keeping with a "laid-back fun affair" or a "day of tour" - you aren't the only person who's been to Dublinfest and my recollection of what's acceptable there seems to differ with yours. I for one found your sideline offensive - apology accepted - and I would say that Oldman's observations are accurate. Several individual players were targeted, as were the female refs. Your backgrounds are irrelevant - had that behaviour taken place at a women's or a men's match with panel refs you would have seen your team take a lot of time-serving penalties, so to say you were surprised at how seriously other teams take mixed is rather missing the point. The level of respect you are required to display towards the refs is not something that varies in each discipline of lacrosse and has nothing to do with "banter" or "tomfoolery" - two words which, incidentally, you may care to look up in the dictionary.

There's little point in offering an apology if, in the same breath, you deny the allegation.
Tree13's posts only reflect Tree13's personal opinions. They do not represent the views of any other person, team or club. Any interpretation to the contrary is invalid.

Brighton #18 2008 - 2011; 2012 - 2014
EG #41 2011 - 2012
ILL Allstars #26 2011
Bristol #13 2005 - 2007
tackers201
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:29 pm
gender: Male

Re: Imperial Cup Results, March 19th

Postby tackers201 Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:33 pm

The tournament yesterday required each team to provide two referees. As we had two teams we therefore provided four referees, three of which were women, the other was myself. I can assure you that none of our team are sexist and I strongly refute any comment insinuating that we are. Any unacceptable behaviour from us yesterday (which you are correct, I have apologised for) was spread evenly throughout both sexes and to say otherwise is misleading to say the least. When the 'whistle trick' was performed it was a mere coincidence that the referee(s) were female. I have said many times and had meetings where I've said that I hate the degradation of women, and our mixed captain was in an argument once and said 'how could I hate women? My mum's one.'
I'd also like to point out that contrary to the above, Bath University have never partaken in a line drill on a mixed lacrosse tour.
Bath University
Bath City
User avatar
chippie
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2470
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:19 am
gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Imperial Cup Results, March 19th

Postby chippie Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:57 pm

tackers201 wrote:Any unacceptable behaviour from us yesterday (which you are correct, I have apologised for) was spread evenly throughout both sexes and to say otherwise is misleading to say the least.


:roll:
"Train to win, Play to win" "Shoot first. Ask questions later"

"the way to beat a tight crease is a quick stick"

It's not the team with the best athletes, it's the athlete's with the best team

My views and opinions are my own and do not reflect views or opinions of any other club, organisation, institution.

Return to “Mixed”

Monster Mesh

Monster Mesh

Login · Register